WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Dutch Quilt Hooks on WBBB

Does anyone have any experience sewing in Quilt hooks into the Warbonnet Blackbird?

I am thinking of attaching 4, one on the black seam above the footbox, 2 inches up the suspension from where i want the UQ to hang, and another on the other side, about 6 inches from where I want the UQ to hang.

My problem is the zipper side of the hammock. Which seam should the Quilt hook be sewed into? I am not sure if it should be right below the zipper, right above (seems like it would interfere), or on the seam of the bugnet/bed material higher up.

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Maybe sew the hooks onto the quilt, then hook them onto the BB??
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    DIY Vinyl-for now
    Insulation
    Pad w/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I have been contemplating the same thing with my WBBB, I just haven't gotten around to sewing yet. I was planning on sewing the quilt hook just below the zipper because most of the time I have found that the quilt never ends up being higher than the zipper line when I've got it snugged up properly.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Dutch Quilt Hooks on WBBB

The only thing to watch out for is stitching the too close to the zipper. The eye of the zipper pull can get caught in the hook. I got locked into my hammock once that way.

Some one recently posted in another thread that they cut off the zipper pulls after installing there own line pulls. He didn't like the jangling noise, but I think its a good idea for other reasons too!

I ended up putting the hooks lower on the hammock body, but farther out past my feet and head. I then discovered I could hang from the body by just tying little stopper knots beyond the quilt hooks. By positioning the line locks between the quilt hook and the stopper knot, I had full adjustability. I no longer needed the cord running to the ends of the hammock so I could cut the cords just to the lengths of the distance between the quilt hooks plus a little line to lower the hammock on warm nights.

The other advantage I found was the 3/4 quilt would have a little float with the body of the hammock so it wouldn't come off my shoulders at night.

Also when packing up the hammock and the under quilt in one bag, I didn't have to worry about the end lines coming off the ends off the hammock.

hope this helps!
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I sewed two quilt hooks. One at the left shoulder, one at the right foot. THen I sewed some 1/4 wide elastic along where I wanted the quilt to be. Maybe 8 inches of elastic, sewn every inch. Then, you can adjust where the quilt is. I also use the elastic in the UQ, and Dutch's plastic things to hook the top and bottom onto the suspension.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I would also like pictures

Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    The only thing to watch out for is stitching the too close to the zipper. The eye of the zipper pull can get caught in the hook. I got locked into my hammock once that way.

Some one recently posted in another thread that they cut off the zipper pulls after installing there own line pulls. He didn't like the jangling noise, but I think its a good idea for other reasons too!

I ended up putting the hooks lower on the hammock body, but farther out past my feet and head. I then discovered I could hang from the body by just tying little stopper knots beyond the quilt hooks. By positioning the line locks between the quilt hook and the stopper knot, I had full adjustability. I no longer needed the cord running to the ends of the hammock so I could cut the cords just to the lengths of the distance between the quilt hooks plus a little line to lower the hammock on warm nights.

The other advantage I found was the 3/4 quilt would have a little float with the body of the hammock so it wouldn't come off my shoulders at night.

Also when packing up the hammock and the under quilt in one bag, I didn't have to worry about the end lines coming off the ends off the hammock.

hope this helps!
    I want to do this, but am struggling to understand your description. Have any pictures?

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Oddly, I can't find pictures of it at the moment and I've given away the WBBB. I use the same stopper knot method for the DreamHammock pack hooks and it works like a charm.

Step 1. Get a buddy and hand him a bar of soap. (sewing soap for marking the hammock)

Step 2. Lay in hammock. Get comfy.

Step 3. Have him/her mark your shoulders and feet. About 6-12"inches towards the end of the hammock and somewhere above the mark, but below the zipper, is where you is where you will want to put the underquilt hooks. You can test the position by pinning the shock cord with a safety pin, just be gentle and have your buddy move it while you are in the hammock.

Note: RHJanes method of having multiple loops and a line lock is much better and would work for different underquilts and people.

Note: Make sure the quilt hooks are below the metal zipper pull or remove the zipper pull. I now remove all my zipper pulls and replace them with glow in the dark pulls from AHE.

Step 4. Hand sew the quilt hooks in.

Step 5. Tie overhand knots in the ends so the knots are just beyond the hooks, let the line locks tighten the cords to the hooks. So it is in this order, from outside in: Knot, line lock, quilt hook. The knot lets you hang the underquilt, the line lock gives the tension.

Note: Line locks are only needed on one end (2 line locks, left and right), but having them on all four corners is nice.

Step 6. Cut off the extra shock cord.

Not sure when I can get to taking pictures with the Dream Hammock. If I run across my pictures of the WBB I'll post them.

Hope this helps.

• + New Posts