Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I use ~ 9' straps and I've never had any problems. Like other threads indicate, if you come upon site that doesn't work, hike another 10 minutes or so and you'll find one that does. But like HE said, I live on the East coast so my experience is limited in that respect.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I use about 14 feet per side. 2 feet of spectra and 12 feet of Speer webbing.
    I'm using the ring/buckle suspension system. I love this sytem so much I just have to show it to ya if you've not seen it:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=buckles
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I use a fairly short tree hugger but can adjust for larger trees by passing the main hammock rope through one loop before tying on to allow for the 'extra girth'. Seems to protect trees adequately and does away with the need for super long huggers when backpacking.

Nigel

all I have on my hammock is strapping so I just hope it is long enough. Guess I will find out

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Stock tree saver straps worked fine for me thru the Smokies in 2003...Full shelters every nite but one... nice...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I can easily hang from one tree 24" diam, and one about 26" (my homemade "tree huggers" are different sizes), & can go up to 20' apart so I'm good.

On the other hand: The smallest I've hung from is 4". The closest the trees have been together is 9.5', which is as close as I can go & still put up my tarp. Which gives me a range tree to tree of 10.5' and a tree size range of 22", shoulldn't be hard to find a campsite within those ranges.

Doctari.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    ok from what I have read the best size tree to strap a hammock to is one
    4-6" diameter. I realize you can use larger trees but is there a limit? I am thinking about the Smokies in particular where some trees are 24"+ diameter how would you go about strapping to them esp if you're not planning on one that big. How much strapping do you have on each end of your hammock? Do you carry extra just in case?

Has anyone on here hammocked in the Smokies before?
    Ewker, I use the ENO Slap Strap Pro, each of which is 10' long, giving me a total of 30' to work with if you include the lenght of my hammock. In the event that even that isn't long enough, I would just use an appropriate length of doubled over 550 cord. In the short amount of time that I've been hammocking, I haven't had to resort to that and I hope I never do. There are many different ways to attach a hammcok to a tree, oversize or not, and are limited only by one's ingenuity. I started out with the Slap Strap and they've worked out for me just fine, so if ain't broken, don't fix it!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Careful with the 550 cord...a few of us have broken it on hammocks. More than once...some of us don't learn so well the first time around...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

update on tree size. The campsite that we had to stay at did have a few trees that I could hang a hammock from. My biggest problem was the size of the tree. I hang my tarp using bungee cords. Unfortunately the tree was to big around for the bungee. I did have some rope (luckily) with me that I used to hang it with. The next biggest problem was getting the hammock centered between the 2 trees. I must have spent 20 minutes wrapping/unwrapping the straps until I got the hammock close to center. I really didn't need to (since I knew no rain was in the forecast) it was just a case of wanting to. I think what gave me the biggest problem was the size of the tree since it took so much more of the webbing to go around it.

Anyway it worked. We stopped at the next campsite just to check it out. There would have been problems there because of the tree diameters.

Guess I will carry longer bungee cords

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ewker - it doesn't have to be centered. Just cheat a little bit towards your feet and it'll have the same effect as hanging your feet a little bit higher. How'd you sleep that night? Warm and comfortable?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast