Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I believe it was TeeDee in the first page of this thread that said the fabric received from the kite shops was usually stiff. This is the only thing I've ordered from a kite site, so I can't say for sure if all their stuff is similar. But, I've learned to trust TeeDee about this stuff.

Many sailfabrics have a hard(er) finish so it is less stretchy, there are different finishes though with varying stiffness ,
    so you have to check what it is or rather find out for yourself as i think it's difficult to get an impression of the finish unless you have it in your hands

BTW , some Poly Spinnaker from Contender will be on the way to me next
    week

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com
    CanAbull,

Mucho Thanko for suggesting I tape the 75 mylar. I too was disappointed when I weighed my 5 yard roll from KiteBuilder. 5 yds=15oz Yikes, I've a WalMart SilNylon material tarp that only weighs 16oz With the lines and 6 stakes. Needless to say I'm disappointed. I thought I was headed for the ''Cuben'' gardens ...

C3 tape? Where does one find the best deal? As I've not heard of it.

And, has any one DIY Tarp with TriSpi 25? Web says .6oz, and I'm sure that's Sail Maker weight also. So it must weigh just under an ounce a yard? Not sure these "loud speaker" fabrics are worth the effort of time and money?

And may I suggest to those of you who are not sewing yet, I've made nearly everything I backpack with now and I"ve only been sewing about a year. Had a buddy show me how to make a straight stitch which is about all you need to know. hey, it's really easy.

I"m sewing with a Kenmore 385, less than $300 and belive me, it will sew anything a backpacker wants. Even yo' pack. My very talented daughter saw the 385 and she immediately wanted it. Said it sews like "butter" compared to her antique.

FYI: I've a 1 3/4 pound, 3,500 cu in "bamboo" external frame pack that is the most comfortable pack I've ever used. (Waist belt is LuxuryLite and straps are off an el'cheapo no name that I liked)

AND, while I'm at it ... I made "bamboo" fishing pole hiking poles that are lighter than carbon fiber commercial ones. One is 3oz and the other is 3 1/2. So much for "natural" fibers ............
    Gott'a go
    dplant

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

px 75 update

PX 75 Tarp update

I have the 5 yards joined at the hip with cat cuts cut. (weight is now 14 1/2 oz weighed on a Good Cook, electronic scale. WalMart about $30) I'm ready to start installing the tie-outs and then applying the edge trim.

Opinion? this should be loudspeaker cone material, but since I love the pitter-pat of rain, it should be an interesting tarp. (9 1/4 x 7 1/2 feet)

And yes, the fabric is so stiff, I'm thinking I am going to fold and roll it rather than stuff it in my pack. Lord knows, attempting to stuff it creates quite a ball.

And my main reason for updating is ... the more I work with this material the more it reminds me of a "blue" tarp. I'm now thinking one could purchase a bit larger than wanted blue tarp, trim it to desired size and design without the brass grommets and heavy edging seams. Probably end up a similar weight to the PX75. In fact, I may try said next. I'm thinking a Blue material, custom tarp will cost about $10. That's a LONG way from the $55 + $12 postage I paid at Kite Builder.

All of the above FYI ...

And I must apolgize to Cannibal for my attempt at humor with the spelling of his handle last email. It's just that I'm one who likes to tease and enjoy mental sparing.

later 'cause I'm heading to the Hoosier National Forest for 3 daze wth about 6-7 Hoosier Hangers.
    dplant

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dplant View Post
    And I must apolgize to Cannibal for my attempt at humor with the spelling of his handle last email. It's just that I'm one who likes to tease and enjoy mental sparing.
    No apology necessary. You're going to have to try much harder to offend me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com
    It's Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

hey, what's all the flap about PX75 being noisy? Those CuteCatCuts do the job, IMHO

I am anticipating a driving rainstorm tho. PityPats? Ha I bet PX75 will amplifiy them 10 fold over silnylon. Mmmmmmmm

PX75 is a BEAR tho to pack. I'm going to roll it up and stash on the OUTSIDE of me pack. (PacCover?) I cannot see the value of stuffing this stuff. And thinking of how "un-stuffable" it is. I'd love a report on Cuben's stuffability. Hate to plunk down the $25 a yard and not like it.

My PX75 specs ... 5 yds made it 9 1/4 x 7 1/2 feet, just right for my 6' Bridge mock. I'm 6' and like my feet to hang out of the mock. NO heel pressure. Better than me bed at me cottage. Creative pitching allows a cabana or pretty closed up even for driving rain.

I'm happy with everything but the weight. 498 grams. About 100 grams heavier than I wanted. In the future, I'll always consider "sail makers" weight/yards.

Now, if I could just find my camera .................. I haven't seen it for a long time. You know the dang things are getting so small, they are easily misplaced.

Plus, I'm not sure how to post pix on the site. Got instructions? anyBODY?

I'll chek back in after the first storm with my new LoudspeakerGreenhouse.

ttfn
    dp

Images
    Yep cool stuff. and this is stuff is way stiffer than most of the more "normal" woven sailing fabrics.

I have a roll I've been meaning to try out. But I'm really leaning towards the regular spinnaker fabrics with the coatings to make them impermeable. Very popular in sail and kite making land... 0.49oz/sailmakers yard... So about the same weight as heavier sil but cheaper.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Looks like hi-tech sail cloth. That stuff is used on go fast racing sail boats. Noisy as jiffy pop I imagine in a rain storm
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234