Newb Questions RE cold weather and big agnes bags

Hi. I've been lurking and reading around the forums for the last week or two, and just pulled the trigger on an HH Expedition Zip, which should arrive here in a day or so. I'm an apartment dweller in the city, so while I'll be taking it out to practice setup and see how it fits in the park, my first real trip with the thing will be a week long visit to the BWCA in mid-September.

My plan right now is take my 15F Down Big Agnes bag and insulated pad (a 15F Sand Mountain) to sleep in. Temps at night at that time of year are in the 40F range, but I'd like to be prepared for 30s, or lower if possible. Most of these camp sites are fairly close to lakes, and it could be windy. Does anyone have experience with this equipment? I've read some posts that make it sound like a good combo, and others that didn't like it.

I'm 5'10" and normally sleep fairly well in this pad and bag.
    Last edited by supagold; 08-01-2013 at 16:19.

Hammock
    XLC Blackbird Multi-cam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti multicam
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by supagold View Post
    Hi. I've been lurking and reading around the forums for the last week or two, and just pulled the trigger on an HH Expedition Zip, which should arrive here in a day or so. I'm an apartment dweller in the city, so while I'll be taking it out to practice setup and see how it fits in the park, my first real trip with the thing will be a week long visit to the BWCA in mid-September.

My plan right now is take my 15F Down Big Agnes bag and insulated pad (a 15F Sand Mountain) to sleep in. Temps at night at that time of year are in the 40F range, but I'd like to be prepared for 30s, or lower if possible. Most of these camp sites are fairly close to lakes, and it could be windy. Does anyone have experience with this equipment? I've read some posts that make it sound like a good combo, and others that didn't like it.

I'm 5'10" and normally sleep fairly well in this pad and bag.

I love big agnes sleeping bags. Just my opinion though. I have one where my sleep pad slides inside it. So this way when I toss and turn I do not come off it. Keep the sleep pad where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by breaker View Post
    I love big agnes sleeping bags. Just my opinion though. I have one where my sleep pad slides inside it. So this way when I toss and turn I do not come off it. Keep the sleep pad where it belongs.
    I'm the same. Buying the big agnes bag changed tent camping for me in a major way, haha.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I went to the BWCA last June. Lows were in the 40s. I have quilts, but my buddy had a Big Agnes Cross Mountain 30 degree with a BA IAC pad and slept great. I really like the way the pad stays in the BA when you are in a hammock.

• + New Posts