SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

New River paired with the Owyhee?

So I am considering the New River and the Owyhee as a set. A bit about me I am 5'6" and a stocky 185ish lbs. 95% of our hammocking overnights will be spring, summer and fall. We take the hammocks out in the winter but on day trips for fishing and hanging then home again. Would the Apex upgrade be of any benefit for the UQ? I am typically a warm sleeper so not thinking it would be of any benefit in for the TQ. I've already got a tarp on order but thinking of adding a set of quilt since he has the free shipping.

Trying not to bother Paul anymore then necessary so any comments from those that bought quilts and what you chose and why?

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Had the New River and its a nice quilt. If you do the Apex, you will pick up 5-10 degrees of warmth as well as it will condense 15-20% smaller than the standard synthetic climashield for backpacking. My next synthetic will be with Apex for those reasons.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Had the New River and its a nice quilt. If you do the Apex, you will pick up 5-10 degrees of warmth as well as it will condense 15-20% smaller than the standard synthetic climashield for backpacking. My next synthetic will be with Apex for those reasons.
    Would you do the upgrade on both the TQ and UQ? Or jsut one. My hammock setup is:

SLD Streamliner DL
    SLD Bug net
    SLD Wind Breaker

With the wind breaker I'm wondering if the upgraded insulations would make much sense.

Soo many questions.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Its hard to answer all your questions, as everybody is different. I have been backpacking past 30 plus years..and at 63,,I try and go as light as possible anymore with the exception of packing a Flex Lite Chair or a Jacks R Better Stool. I try and keep my pack weight at about 10-15lbs with the exception of Food, Fuel, and Water, and the chair or stool. The variance in the total pack weight is wether I am packing for a summer trip or a cold weather trip and the difference in weight of TQ's and UQ's. I try and keep my wife between 9 and 13lbs as I carry the heavier stuff. Between us, we have 12 diff. TQ's and UQ's to choose from with the lightest being a Te-Wa Down 3/4 UQ 50 degree UQ with a extra oz of down at 10.9 oz all the way to the heaviest being a 20 degree uQ with 2 extra ozs. of down weighing 25.9 oz from UGQ's. Everytime I buy something, I have to also buy for the wife. Your starting to put your gear together for yourself and your family. We all have been there,,and have done the questions, the thinking, the driving yourself nuts with the question "what is best? what will work all the time in A or ONE setup?" IF,,all you can afford for now is One setup,,just remember this. A lot of members on the forum have only one setup starting out and they try and go maybe 20-30 degree UQ and vent..and same for the TQ. Venting is the key in the warmer climates until you decide to go to 40 and 50 degree TQ's and UQ's. Also you can supplement your gear in TQ's especially in the summer, with light weight toppings, like fleece blankets, light weight wool toppings, poncho liners for 20-30 bucks will get you down as low as 40's....Go with what you think will work for you for now. Remember this, if you think you buy something and down the road you want to change it out and not keep it..you can always sell it on this forum with little to no loss and buy something else. Watch the "For Sale" forum, as a lot of members, buy, try it,,and sell it,,constantly, seeking a better hammock, TQ, UQ, or setup that suit them.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Well I just puller the trigger on the New River UQ with APEX upgrade and the Owyhee TQ in regular 5oz. Now I'm broke but happy on the hammock funds...

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You will be very happy with what you just pulled the trigger on. Happy Hanging.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thinking I really want to APEX the TQ as well hopefully Paul is able to upgrade it, shot him an email as I also don't really like the Dutch Cinch Buckle and prefer the AHE/ Warbonnet style. So I need the buckles with and orange loop. Gah....

I've got the standard New River and have been very comfortable down to the low 30's. It doesn't pack down as small as a down one, but its affordable and I've still got plenty of room in my pack. Enjoy!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Holy cow is the APEX warm. Many thanks to Paul and the Crew for the quality gear.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    On a super nice plus side I went down to 55 last night in shorts and a tee shirt. I have a feeling I will be doing sone snow camping for fun.

• + New Posts