Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

ME > Acadia

I'm currently visiting the East Coast, trying to hike in as many beautiful locations as possible before having to return to Germany. Although I'm still hiking in the Adirondacks, and will move on to the Whites next, I'm already thinking about the destination afterwards. I'm spending a week near Bangor at the end of August, and I thought it might be a good idea to get to Acadia National Park afterwards. I saw that overnight hiking is forbidden, which means I would have to pick a campground and do day hikes from there.

Is it still worthwhile to visit Acadia? Instead of e.g. turning back and rather spend a couple of days in the Green Mountains? My time in the US is slowly coming to an end; I'll have to be back in Philadelphia by September 19th. Since time is precious, I would like to focus on the best hiking (and hammock) areas...

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0 / WBRR DL
    Tarp
    OMW/WBCB
    Insulation
    BurrowIncubPhoenix
    Suspension
    stock webbing
    Acadia National Park has many trails to hike. Beautiful place. Just have to use a public campground. Enjoy. Still worth it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Any public campground that can be recommended (especially for hammocks)?

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RKP View Post
    Acadia National Park has many trails to hike. Beautiful place. Just have to use a public campground. Enjoy. Still worth it.
    Why a "public" campground? Do you mean private?

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Blackwoods Campground is in Acadia. We hammocked there. The rangers got a little testy when the only trees in the site given to us were just outside the gravel but they ended up being cool abou it.
    It's a close drive to some sweet hikes- look up Pemetic and Cadillac Mountains. You can hike to Cadillac from the campsite on a longer nice day hike.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide

ME > Acadia

Acadia is nice, but personally if you can swing it, I would go to Katahdin instead and hike the Helon Taylor trail up Mt Pamola across Knifes Edge over to the end of the AT on Katahdin and back down. You won't regret it. It is an incredible hike! In my opinion it better than anything in the Whites.
    Ed

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Acadia is a beautiful place... the Otter Cliffs trail is one of prettiest ocean-side hikes imaginable!

I hammocked there this winter in the Blackwoods Campground. My girlfriend and I had the entire campground to ourselves! That was the last few days of February... I don't know how crowded it might be this time of the year, though.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: ME > Acadia

I would recimmend skipping Acadia. Go father up route 1 to a town called Machias (I used to live there). Go in to east Machias and take route 191 to cutler, Maine. Look for the trail head to bold coast trail. Am amazingly beautiful place with campsites near a lighthouse and very under populated. It is still my favorite place, and to think I used to live so close...I need to get back there

You have a good chance to see whales from the campsite as I did once in August.

But definitely visit Acadia. Bar harbor especially. Wonderful town! If you are a good climber and not scarred id heights, climb the precipice trail (photo is my avatar). It just opened up and is a thrill with great views!

At any rate, have fun!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I would recimmend skipping Acadia. Go father up route 1 to a town called Machias (I used to live there). Go in to east Machias and take route 191 to cutler, Maine. Look for the trail head to bold coast trail. Am amazingly beautiful place with campsites near a lighthouse and very under populated. It is still my favorite place, and to think I used to live so close...I need to get back there

You have a good chance to see whales from the campsite as I did once in August.

But definitely visit Acadia. Bar harbor especially. Wonderful town! If you are a good climber and not scarred id heights, climb the precipice trail (photo is my avatar). It just opened up and is a thrill with great views!

At any rate, have fun!
    i 2nd this. We have stayed in Cobscook Bay and hiked the Bold Coast trail several times- next trip up there is in Oct and can't wait :0)
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL, ThunderBird 1.9 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly & Sock
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Live in the Bangor area,
    I visit Acadia monthly. Blackwoods campground has direct access to the south face of Cadillac Mtn. If you are more for the ocean, Seawall campground has access to ocean side hikes. You can reserve a limited number of campsites, but the majority are first come-first serve. In late August you want to get there around noon at the latest to make sure you get a site. In the off-season, Blackwoods allows you to camp year round.

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...009_549865.jpg

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...404_134407.jpg

Best of Luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast