WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps

Tarps and Wind Blown Rain

Hi all. I'm doing some research to try and understand a little better (I'm trying to spec out my first system) the tarps and how to protect from rain and the different type of setups.

I've researched some articles (including dejoha's "Rigging A Tarp For A Hammock"--very helpful) on the forum but was hoping some of the members could either weigh in or point to some existing articles they may know of explaining how to protect (I'm really trying to choose a tarp system) against rain/elements.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    You'll be hard pressed to find a one size fits all tarp pitch. However, one of the benefits of a tarp is that it can be pitched in multiple ways.

As a rule of thumb, the larger the tarp, the greater the coverage, the less incursion from rain. A Winter tarp with doors tend to offer the best coverage in this regard with coverage on all sides. The lower a tarp is pitched, the less opportunity rain will have to come under it.

Some use more knowledge and less tarp. Site selection and pitch placement can offset many issues that weather might present. Using a rhodo thicket or hedge to block wind can help one get by with much less tarp. Choosing trees that allow the broad side of a tarp to take the brunt while allowing the head and foot end to be shielded is of benefit as well. Hanging a hammock higher in relation to the tarp ridgeline also allows the tarp to keep more rain away.

I've managed to stay dry with a smaller diamond shape tarp and also managed to get wet using a big Winter tarp. Not getting wet usually has more to do with thoughtful planning than size of tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    A tarp with "doors" like the Superfly makes it easy to customize your setup to protect your gear from rain.

Always, you try to estimate which direction the rain could be coming from when you first pitch your hammock/tarp. Prevailing wind direction is a good guess, but sometimes a thunderstorm has swirling winds and you can experience rain blowing from all directions.

Here are a couple of photos of my Superfly set up with the two upwind doors tied out to provide some additional rain protection on a recent trip:

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Insulation
    TQ & Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Tarps and Wind Blown Rain

You may also consider buying a less expensive tarp to figure out your preferences and to develop your tarp hanging skills before investing in a more expensive tarp. The backyard can be a great proving ground, and a garden hose makes a good rain simulator.
    -TheFarmerCamper

“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.” - Hans Hofmann

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    If you haven't seen all of Shug's Hammock Vids, go directly to there and don't read any further.

For me

Winds tend to shift after dark for most of us, irregardless of weather. Storms can spin the direction all over the place, sometimes all at once.

I tend to choose my set up with the foot end facing the direction of the storm coming in, then covering that entirely with doors, beaks, or a poncho. Both sides of the Tox go staked out tight to the ground.

For me, this sets up less wind resistance, when I get it right. As a by product I also seem to get a little less misting, with a hard driving rain not blasting broadside against a wide panel of Sil, but rather being deflected by the more water proof material of my poncho, covering the weather end of the kit. It also results in better coverage, at the head end, because I can center more of the actual tarp over it.

You certainly won't get it right, without a lot of practice and application. That's probably more of a key than anything else. Don't pass up a shower or storm at home, to get a little set up work in. It will pay off down the trail. Because the trees in most yards are static, you'll learn quickly that one single set up, never works all the time, and you'll learn to compensate for that as well.

Undercovers and UQ splash guards or wind deflectors can help a bunch too. They can allow for a greater range of error or increased element of protection for vital bottom insulation, and weigh very little. Good place to introduce a little CF to a kit, if the pocketbook or accountant still says no, to the price tag on a tarp made out of that stuff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore! I grew up in LA (lower Alabama) before moving to Jersey.

Here's a recent thread:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75937

There are some practitioners of the dark art of site selection as a method of staying dry, but I'm a supporter of the four-season tarp with doors approach (I don't trust the winds to keep coming from the same direction).

The Warbonnet Superfly will handle any weather - or if you've got a pocket full of change, you can get an HG Winter Palace made from cuben fiber and weighing only 8.5 ounces.

Re: Tarps and Wind Blown Rain

I think with a sufficiently long tarp and by having that tarp pitched lower close to your hammock you'd have to be in a monsoon to get any rain on you. I haven't had any problems. You could put some doors on as other have suggested. I like the idea of a small half door/flap to help protect the end of the hammock

Hammock
    XLC Blackbird Multi-cam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti multicam
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    A tarp with "doors" like the Superfly makes it easy to customize your setup to protect your gear from rain.

desmobob
    What pack is this in the photo?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    I have the Hennessey monsoon tarp with my expedition.With the "blast doors", I've never got any windblown moisture in at anytime. Real good for wind too. I'm looking at getting a Typhoon for my survivor instead of continuing to use the one that came with it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kcnal View Post
    Hi all. I'm doing some research to try and understand a little better (I'm trying to spec out my first system) the tarps and how to protect from rain and the different type of setups.

I've researched some articles (including dejoha's "Rigging A Tarp For A Hammock"--very helpful) on the forum but was hoping some of the members could either weigh in or point to some existing articles they may know of explaining how to protect (I'm really trying to choose a tarp system) against rain/elements.

Thanks!
    You have received some good advice from folks here I'd like to add I've hung in some pretty good rain storms before & luckily have always stayed dry sometimes to my amazement. For me the wind was a problem stealing my heat even with a down under-quilt installed the correct way not just CBS but whole body cold. I have since purchased an under-quilt protector from 2QZQ & wow a big difference for blocking the wind & wind blown rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast