New Potomac; My rigging

Received my new Potomac BQ for my HH Explorer in seven days.

The 6' + quilt fits in the provided stuff sack with a length of 19".

Per instructions from Paul the quilt is supported at each end by a shock cord that is snapped over the hammock sling where it exits the end of the hammock. A couple ofphotos illustrating this. Note there are diffent colored carbiners provided for the ends; look close for the green one.

There are some guides to help fit the quilt to the hammock. At least I think that's what they are for.

I just ran the HH side pullouts through them.

I opened up the HH and am getting ready to turn and back in by shoving the quilt aside.

Note the shock cords pull the quilt back in position after I''m in there. You can also juggle it around reach through the hammock entrance.( A bit low, but am getting it ready for grandson's visit.)

Here's two shots of the standard rain fly. The bottom of the hammock seems very unprotected even if I snugged it up a bit.

Bringing me to my big question due to Hawaii trade winds and deluguing cloud bursts that can soak you.

What larger rain fly should I be looking at? Is the HH Moonsoon adequate? Should I have something a bit larger even to be sure the quilt doesn't touch the fly? Something with doors?

Oh BTW did I rig it right?

Aloha

Dan

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    QUOTE: "Bringing me to my big question due to Hawaii trade winds and deluguing cloud bursts that can soak you.

What larger rain fly should I be looking at? Is the HH Moonsoon adequate? Should I have something a bit larger even to be sure the quilt doesn't touch the fly? Something with doors?"

I think you are going to need the HH Typhoon (For Explorer Ultralite, Deep Jungle XL, Survivor) instead of the Monsoon, which I have for my Expedition. They are basically the same thing, except the Typhoon covers your larger hammock. The Monsoon is great. It provides great coverage, and if it gets really bad, you can attach the blast doors to secure the ends. I like it so much I'm going to get the Typhoon for my survivor (eventually). I go with the Expedition when I know it is going to be wet, just to get the extra protection, and sacrifice the extra room and comfort of the survivor. I have a classic bottom entry though, instead of the zip model that you have, so I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to get in and out of with the larger rainfly.
    Last edited by DC125; 08-04-2013 at 10:40. Reason: add quote

Images
    Another approach is an UQ protector. But you have a bottom entry, right? I'm not sure how thoese would work with a bottom entry, except of course for HH's own UQP, AKA UC or Under Cover for their HH Super Shelter. It is bombproof for providing wind and rain protection even with that little HH tarp, I actually feel it works better than using a larger tarp, plus it is a part of the HH insulation system(dual function).

But I don't know if it would work well with your UQ. But I suspect I could get it rigged so that it would. The main thing is you might want to rig something to keep the UC elastics from compressing the UQ in some spots.

Or, any big tarp will get the job done, like a JRB 10x11 rectangular tarp, or many others.

• + New Posts