Ok, tired of the hennessy figure 8's, especially since I am still playing with my setup a lot. It is a pain to feed the rope through the opening of the straps when you load them (opening wants to clamp shut), and time consuming to work with my setup each time.
This is on a HH Exp
Here was my criteria when coming up with a new setup:
- Simple to setup
- Simple to break down
- Little additional weight and bulk added over stock, but ok with some weight if other criteria are met
- No modification to HH
- All materials need to be available at local outfitter and inexpensive
So here is my new setup:
- 2 Black Diamond Biners @ $6.50 a piece
- ~ 5' of 5mil 1060# rope @ $.20 a foot
I clip a biner to my tree straps either through both loops or through one loop with strap threaded through the other.
I then made a small loop of 5mil (1060#) rope using double fishermans to connect the ends.
I use a triple wrap prusik to attach this loop to the hennessy rope and clip the loop to my biner.
Now I can leave the prusiks attached to each hennessy rope for quick set up, and the prusiks allow for quick adjustment.
I layed in my homemade hammock for a while last night with this and it held well and was easy to set up.
- Are the prusiks secure enough?
- Should I triple wrap my double fishermans, or is it sufficient as is?
- Any other suggestions for improvement with the materials I have here?