DIY channel end
    Tarp
    Diy Winter12
    Insulation
    DIY top/underquilt
    Suspension
    Mule tape/whoopies

New to winter/snow hiking and camping

Im new to the idea of backpacking in the snow. I know people on the forum live way up north and/or west where there is a lot more snow but I hope for some advice on the topic. I think it would be a great challenge. Most people I talk to around here think Im a little crazy cause camping in the snow, in the Smokies? Yeah it sounds weird but I wanna do it...... Safely. And come back. So advice, tricks, suggestions on gear I should look into. I want to make it a pulking trip.

Hammock gear wise what direction should I go? Peapod? A huge under/top quilt?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl, XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG B/I 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Checkout out Shug's youtube channel. He has a lot of videos on winter camping.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Latest winter trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEzq2iidxNs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Warb. Yeti,& Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I agree with pello check out shug's videos......

Myself, I do not look at weight as much as the guys on the forum. I use 3 season top quilt and full length under quilt both being down. If it gets really cold after all that I bring out the big guns and wear my military polartec classic 300 and polartec fleece overalls. I have only had to do that once.

Using a good under quilt and top quilt will keep you nice and warm

It is better to use hammock traps for a rainy or snowy situation.

winter

To be comfortable and enjoy camping any time of the year I use a small 5"x5" or 6"x6" coffee can cook stove hooked to a 2"x40" chimney that is a center pole for my tarp.
    In the winter my tarp is nailed tight to the ground and sealed around the edges with snow. I burn a few sticks of wood or any other fuel under the tarp, to cook and eat out of the wind.
    Snow is nice to sleep on and if you cover the lower part of your bag with snow your feet will keep warmer.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    my advice would be to start out on cold nights in your backyard, then move on to an overnighter not too far from a trailhead and your car so you have some place to bail if things start to go bad

winter camping is not something that should be taken lightly and just jumped into, proceed slow and cautiously, that way you stay safe while you are dialing in your equipment and gaining useful knowledge

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Quote Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
    To be comfortable and enjoy camping any time of the year I use a small 5"x5" or 6"x6" coffee can cook stove hooked to a 2"x40" chimney that is a center pole for my tarp.
    In the winter my tarp is nailed tight to the ground and sealed around the edges with snow. I burn a few sticks of wood or any other fuel under the tarp, to cook and eat out of the wind.
    Snow is nice to sleep on and if you cover the lower part of your bag with snow your feet will keep warmer.
    Huh????????

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Chimpac has designed a really neat way to make a baffle for small coffee can size woodstoves. He also uses the vertical pole in his winter tarp as a support for the chimney which holds to stove off the ground. It is quite an ingenious design to make a small stove put out a lot of use-able heat without worry about sparks. photos can be found on other forums if you google chimpac stove baffle

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I think the main thing I learned was that hiking clothes and camp clothes are kinda different animals. I tend to hike in thin layers that allow me to managed perspiration effectively while keeping my down for camp wear.

Even though I don't ride my bike in temps under 40*, it did teach me some good things that apply to managing my body temp through my hiking day. Starting the hiking day cooler than your comfort level, covering up at stops, gradual cool downs, how/when to rotate out moist layers to dry, dealing with wind and rain.

David

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPopper View Post
    Im new to the idea of backpacking in the snow. I know people on the forum live way up north and/or west where there is a lot more snow but I hope for some advice on the topic. I think it would be a great challenge. Most people I talk to around here think Im a little crazy cause camping in the snow, in the Smokies? Yeah it sounds weird but I wanna do it...... Safely. And come back. So advice, tricks, suggestions on gear I should look into. I want to make it a pulking trip.

Hammock gear wise what direction should I go? Peapod? A huge under/top quilt?
    Yes! All of the above and several more. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat. But you appear to have 2 different things to learn: how to safely backpack in the cold and snow, plus how to do that in a hammock. Nothing between those 2 really changes other than you have to find a way to transfer one of the functions of your ground pad, which is insulation, off the ground and keep it uo in the air under your back.

This can be done by simply transferring your pad to your hammock, hopefully a double layer hammock AKA pad pocket. And some hammocks seem to work much better than others with a pad. The Claytors for example, but best of all IMO a bridge hammock. A few people like Ducttape are happy with pads especially when it is really cold, the majority don't like them in a hammock for a variety of reasons.

A lot will depend on which hammock you are using. For example, as with the pads above, PeaPods are superb with some hammocks, not so much with others and totally unusable with some. More later!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-05-2013 at 11:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast