Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Everything but Papa's Darians are a little too heavy for the back country for me.
    yeah but so are the other ones he is talking about...

According to this thread a 1.7 dl xl with bug net weighs 36.9oz... 11f X 60in Roaming gnome in same material and DL is 25oz.

My Dangerbird is only 23oz... Not UL but if your only going for "light" I dont think its too much penalty.

the dream hammocks are well made, and the peak bags/tuck away net/hoods on the gathered end and included ridgeline organizer are all little touches that made me feel a little bit more comfortable spending that kind of money on a hammock...
    The Dangerbird being lighter, cheaper, having a net that unzips on both sides as well as just feeling like there was more labor put into it all make the DH ahead of the WB to me...
    Last edited by scryan; 08-06-2013 at 23:36.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are a few to eye-ball and glom.......
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    So many good ones to choose from....

My Ridgerunner is about all I will sleep in now, I can't get over how well the lynx underquilt fits and no cords in my face, nothing to move around, no calf ridge....just uninterrupted, glorious sleep! Some might argue the weight, but its amazing how light a few extra ounces feel after a 10 hour nap!

That being said, the Bias WWM is my constant daypack companion, weighs next to nothing and makes a great place for an afternoon snooze!

Cheers

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    I started with the HH UL Explorer (double layer bottom entry), within a year I moved up to the WBBB (double layer side zip). After a year or two more I got a JRB Bridge.

The WBBBB is my go to hang in the summer/fall. The Bridge is my favorite in the the winter because it's easier to load all the bulky stuff.

I got the WB Superfly (integrated doors) as my last tarp for winter use. Now I find it's my favorite ALL year round! I love the versatility and coverage in big storms. I just got back from an almost 2 week trip in the Wabakimi Wilderness (Northern Ontario) and it weathered some wicked wind and rain!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I have been in the same boat as you as to which hammock to get...for 3 weeks now. The forum here has seemed to lean towards WB(bb) and away from Hennessy Hammocks, but there is nothing wrong with them. those I have access to here in Northwestern Ontario. I am 6' and 230lbs and have felt the same about the room in them (explorer deluxe). I have narrowed it down myself to the thunderbird(custom sizing etc, with removable bug and removable overtop) or followed distantly behind WBBB xlc 1.7 double bottom.) double bottoms are a great idea for durability and as an extra layer to the bugs....ah bugs. and here we have all at once, horse flies, deer flies, mosquitos, blackflies, no-see-ums(sand flies)...been a fun summer here. bug netting attached seems a better idea than the big nets covering the whole hammock. those can get snagged on the ground easily under the hammock if you need to adjust the webbing, slings, etc. and us newbies sometimes have to readjust often the first few times. that was before figuring the tarps section out...

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It seems to me that since you already have a usable setup the best thing to do is try for a few group hangs and try other setup until you find something better.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    Being new to camping in a hammock myself I ended up here. I also need help deciding what hammock I want to lay in. I've been looking around for some time and discovered the Exped Scout Combi and wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I already have an Exped Synmat 7 (and love this thing) that fits in between the two bottom layers. It seems that a limited amount of Youtube users have Exped Scout hammocks and have posted videos sharing information. Plenty of other hammocks out there to see what works and does not work for me though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    on your summer trip to Canada next summer, Thunder Bay is 8 hrs north of Minneapolis. IF YOU NEED A PLACE TO STAY/HANG, LOOK ME UP. lots of space and a place to hang(back yard is set for 2-3 hammocks). you can also check out Dream Hammock Thunderbird(awesome, cavernous) and TTTG Switchback which makes me feel like I am the sturdiest, cozy(in a very good way) hammock. I am calling it the "tank". love them both. of course you may have chosen one by then as well.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    My old HH was my favorite hammock, minus the weight. I slept better in it than any other (the exception being my latest DIY). I think that if you sleep well in your hammock, there is little reason to buy another (this coming from someone who has owned ~10 different hammocks).
    It is my recommendation that you give a group hang a try and then see if you find a hammock that meets your requirements.
    Best of luck to you.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    My old HH was my favorite hammock, minus the weight. I slept better in it than any other (the exception being my latest DIY). I think that if you sleep well in your hammock, there is little reason to buy another (this coming from someone who has owned ~10 different hammocks).
    It is my recommendation that you give a group hang a try and then see if you find a hammock that meets your requirements.
    Best of luck to you.
    +1 to this...I got myself a HH Explorer Deluxe Zip entry and have been very pleased with it. I will admit that my DIYs are much more comfortable for me.

HH makes some good hammocks but if your looking to something alittle more then I'd suggest checking out some Warbonnet Hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast