Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock UQ
    Suspension
    webbing-whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jofish View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations at Lost Maples. Any other recommendations? Has anyone been to Bastrop state park, Garner state park, Palmetto state park, Guadalupe River state park, or Goose Island state park? Those all seem drivable from San Antonio and they have camping, but I have no idea how good/bad they are for hammocking. I'd probably only be able to hit up one or two of them in addition to Lost Maples so let me know any must-sees!

In the Houston area, does anyone have any insight on Village Creek state park, Lake Livingston state park, Brazos Bend state park, or any of the National Forests in the area? I think I'd only be there for a weekend so I'd only be able to check out one of these places.
    There was a big, big fire at Bastrop a couple of years ago and the state park was hit pretty hard. Sounds like they're making a lot of progress there, though. But they lost a lot of trees.

Other concern is water. Most of Texas has had a tough time with drought and lakes in Austin-San Antonio region are low. Lake Travis is less than a third of capacity right now, Buchanan isn't much better.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    Lost Maples is nice off season, but very very crowded in the fall. I agree, skip C as it is a popular camping area and opt for B. That park has great hiking trails.

Garner is nice, but also very popular in the fall.

I'm heading to Guadalupe River State Park this weekend and can update you, but I do not believe it has too much for hiking trails.

I'm not sure, but I think parts of Sam Houston Forest may not be good for overnights in the fall because of hunting season. Others on this forum may know more about those regulations.

I've stayed at Huntsville SP and Lake Livingston. Both nice, but lots of people. Don't do these if you like to "get away from the masses". There are some wonderful recreation areas in the Sam Houston Forest area....Double Lake and Cagle. I've thought about renting a kayak on the north side of Lake Conroe and paddling to one of the sites along the lake as it is partially surrounded by the National Forest area.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who crave closure

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Brazos Bend is a nice park with good trails, but the campsites are not exactly hammock friendly. I've hiked and hung there, but its not optimum. Problem is mainly with tree spacing and availability. No on trail camping is allowed.
    Good to know. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Throkda View Post
    They just opened camping at Government Canyon state park just on the west side of San Antonio -- lots of trees and back-country hiking there.
    Interesting. I did some hiking there the last time I was in San Antonio, but there wasn't any camping allowed (didn't know they planned on adding it either).

Quote Originally Posted by my19 View Post
    There was a big, big fire at Bastrop a couple of years ago and the state park was hit pretty hard. Sounds like they're making a lot of progress there, though. But they lost a lot of trees.

Other concern is water. Most of Texas has had a tough time with drought and lakes in Austin-San Antonio region are low. Lake Travis is less than a third of capacity right now, Buchanan isn't much better.
    Tree loss to fire is a concern; thanks. I'm not really too concerned about water; I'll be going for 1 or 2 nights only and can carry in everything I'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    Lost Maples is nice off season, but very very crowded in the fall. I agree, skip C as it is a popular camping area and opt for B. That park has great hiking trails.

Garner is nice, but also very popular in the fall.

I'm heading to Guadalupe River State Park this weekend and can update you, but I do not believe it has too much for hiking trails.

I'm not sure, but I think parts of Sam Houston Forest may not be good for overnights in the fall because of hunting season. Others on this forum may know more about those regulations.

I've stayed at Huntsville SP and Lake Livingston. Both nice, but lots of people. Don't do these if you like to "get away from the masses". There are some wonderful recreation areas in the Sam Houston Forest area....Double Lake and Cagle. I've thought about renting a kayak on the north side of Lake Conroe and paddling to one of the sites along the lake as it is partially surrounded by the National Forest area.
    Will Lost Maples be crowded in mid-September? I figured that a lot of people went there for the foliage which I assume is a bit later in the year.

As for hunting; that's a good call. I have no idea what the hunting seasons are in Texas; I'll have to look that up. And make sure to bring plenty of bright orange.

Ideally, I'd prefer hike-in only sorts of camping spots, but if there is good hiking/scenery/vistas and serviceable trees/objects to hang from I'd be pretty happy with that.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by jofish View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations at Lost Maples. Any other recommendations? Has anyone been to Bastrop state park, Garner state park, Palmetto state park, Guadalupe River state park, or Goose Island state park? Those all seem drivable from San Antonio and they have camping, but I have no idea how good/bad they are for hammocking. I'd probably only be able to hit up one or two of them in addition to Lost Maples so let me know any must-sees!

In the Houston area, does anyone have any insight on Village Creek state park, Lake Livingston state park, Brazos Bend state park, or any of the National Forests in the area? I think I'd only be there for a weekend so I'd only be able to check out one of these places.
    bastrop state park still has not recovered from the fire completely lots of trees you would want to avoid being around but there are a few nice places in it still. guadalupe river state park only has a small primitive are mostly designated camp sites but a nice park and the honey creek natural area is nice palmeto is a nice park different vegetation then most tx parks. but its camp site only. the colorado river state park is nice as well. the texas parks and wildlife website will give you a nice rundown of the parks with other parks that are nearby. there are several lcra parks and army core of engineers parks around central texas. you can look into sam houston nationl forest near houston and the lonestar hiking trail.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    They just opened camping at Government Canyon state park just on the west side of San Antonio -- lots of trees and back-country hiking there.
    I just called to confirmed with Government Canyon there is NO hammocking camping allowed. They said it's because it's a "natural area" I guess hammock's aren't natural

Maybe if enough people call...? Their number is (210)688-9055
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew2000tx View Post
    I just called to confirmed with Government Canyon there is NO hammocking camping allowed. They said it's because it's a "natural area" I guess hammock's aren't natural

Maybe if enough people call...? Their number is (210)688-9055
    When it comes to hammock camping - especially when you're not in a concentrated campground - my motto is always "Tis better to ask forgiveness than permission".

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Aw, man....and here I hadn't yet run into a Texas State park that wasn't hammock-friendly....
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Aw, man....and here I hadn't yet run into a Texas State park that wasn't hammock-friendly....
    Lady on phone said something to the effect of it's a State Natural Area Not a State Park. She also said park rangers will ask people to remove hammocks if they see them.

Perhaps a call in to Carter Smith, TPWD director, about hammock camping at Government Canyon might get some change.... especially if hammock campers use tree straps that a wide... i.e. take care to protect trees.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Evazote foam 1/4&quot;
    Suspension
    Stock Straps
    Sounds Like BS... Lost Maple is designated a State Natural Area also and they have no problems. I feel like running it up the ladder and checking on it with someone at Headquarters. However it could just stir the pot and we end up screwing it up for the rest of the Texas SNAs

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Lake Georgetown is only about 1.5 hours North of San Antonio. Plenty of easy to hike to sites, lots of water...

Planning thread

Trip Report thread
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast