looking to make managable DIY tarp

i bought some nylon at joann's back in april. it is approx 132"x60." i used nylon straps to gather and tie the ends for a DIY hammock. then i got a SMr pares hammock for fatehr's day.

since then, i bought some digital camo material from walmart at $1.50/yard, sewed two lengths together to make a 10.5'x10' tarp. this tarp is on the heavy side and i hope to use it for fall/winter/spring hammock camping.

in the mean time, i'd like a smaller tarp to use in the summer time, when i mostly worry about dew and the occasional isolation shower.

so my question is, before i sew my tie outs on the corners, would the 132"x60" nylon i have provide adequate coverage from dew and rain (not wind-driven sideways rain) for a 11' long hammock if the tarp were hung corner to opposite corner, much like the asymetrical diamond tarps discussed here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21172

thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Your ridgeline length would be 145 inches, plenty long enough. The 60" width is the problem, I'd think. By the time you sew a hem you'd have 59. You'd need to experiment and see. Of course, the closer to your nose you pitch it the more protection you'd enjoy. Plus, you could make some peak beaks of lightweight polycro.

Thinking of making a minimalist tarp of 68" material.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    It will work, but is minimalist. I found with mine that set up as a standard rectangle gave me better overall coverage. Place 6 tie outs so you can hang it either way.

Here's a couple of links to mine...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=50431

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51911

Hammock
    DIY channel end
    Tarp
    Diy Winter12
    Insulation
    DIY top/underquilt
    Suspension
    Mule tape/whoopies
    If the tarp you have for fall/winter/spring is taslite, which i have used for my hammocks, and if you haven't coated it, it isn't completely waterproof. It will get wet and heavy. Thats what my experiments resulted in. I would test that before using it in the rain. Im going to be using like three shower curtains to make my winter tarp. But you might want to double check my results but thats what i found.

Be sure to let us know how this works out.

Quote Originally Posted by gps4 View Post
    i bought some nylon at joann's back in april. it is approx 132"x60." i used nylon straps to gather and tie the ends for a DIY hammock. then i got a SMr pares hammock for fatehr's day.

since then, i bought some digital camo material from walmart at $1.50/yard, sewed two lengths together to make a 10.5'x10' tarp. this tarp is on the heavy side and i hope to use it for fall/winter/spring hammock camping.

in the mean time, i'd like a smaller tarp to use in the summer time, when i mostly worry about dew and the occasional isolation shower.

so my question is, before i sew my tie outs on the corners, would the 132"x60" nylon i have provide adequate coverage from dew and rain (not wind-driven sideways rain) for a 11' long hammock if the tarp were hung corner to opposite corner, much like the asymetrical diamond tarps discussed here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21172

thanks in advance.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPopper View Post
    If the tarp you have for fall/winter/spring is taslite, which i have used for my hammocks, and if you haven't coated it, it isn't completely waterproof...
    Well of course there's always that.

Maybe they do/did, but I'm not aware of Joanns stocking waterproof nylon.

The big tarp material came from walmart. Obviously not waterproof yet. Thinking about doing the mineral spirits and caulk treatment.

The 132"x60" piece is a 1.9 nylon, probably not waterproof at the moment.

While getting groceries tonight, I wandered thru the material isle and spotted a bolt of white 1.1 rip stop for $1.50/yd and was tempted to grab it to try another 10x10 that would be substantially lighter than the digital camo tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cat cut Hex
    Insulation
    Folded PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I made an asym tarp with some 64" wide coated material I purchased from DIY Gear Supply. I was skeptical also with the coverage, but I needed to get 2 tarps done for a trip I was taking with my daughter. Our ridgeline length is about 85".... I measured diagonal across the material at 11'... Cut the corners back 16"... hemmed it up and added tie outs... I was surprised with the coverage you DO get with the asym! Used them in 3 rain storms (without sideways rain) and they worked fine. I also had a couple of poncho's with us so if we did feel we needed more coverage, we could drape them over the ridge line at the head of the hammock, (under the tarp) but it wasn't necessary.

HYOH, but I think asym's have a place in summer camping. (I do have a hex tarp though also....)

I think the 60" will work fine.... Mock it up with the material you have to get a better visual if you need to...

Have a great week!!!

JIm

• + New Posts