Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    I agree with ya cannibal. A properly set up UQ is proven on the AT. I guess you run into three season camping on any trail I have no experience w/ the SS. It seems very flexible. I hear alot of talk about the perfect air gap for an UQ so it seems flexible. I do see three seasons in my part of Sout East Texas. The four seasons of Texas around January the 3rd its almost Summer Juanuary the 5 th its summer December the 23 its still summer and then you have Christmas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp70 View Post
    I do see three seasons in my part of Sout East Texas. The four seasons of Texas around January the 3rd its almost Summer Juanuary the 5 th its summer December the 23 its still summer and then you have Christmas.
    That's the only problem with the Lone Star State. I may be Texas bred and will certainly someday be Texas dead, but I'm spending the time between where there be snow!

I'm in the process of gathering all the parts to a SS so that I can try it for myself, but I always hear about how fragile the OCF pad is and I don't think I'd want to rely on that for a thru. Also, I really like underquilts so there's that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    The humidity and down, and the fact Its only cold here for three days a year stops me from making an UQ. I have a Down Bag and I only use it in the house for snuggling :-). If I get the SS 90% of the time the OCF will stay at the house. I only need the double layer to protect me from a little wind and the Texas size skeeters that have no problem punching throug my HH and my silk sleeping bag. I have no idea what I would do on a thru hike. In hindsight I could have purchased a doule layer hammock from some one else. I really like the no zipper, no seem um netting always there aspect of the HH.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp70 View Post
    Last month they had the same special on the Hex Tarp. You could of bought a SS and got the tarp free. Someone mentioned there flexible give them a clall!
    Good thought, but I checked back then, and the free tarp was the heavy PU coated version, not the light sil tarp. Plus I already have a SS, though the OCF pad is starting to look a little ragged.

-Kurt
    Last edited by kwpapke; 03-19-2009 at 18:22.

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    I own and use the large HH sil hex tarp. I like its size in all kinds if weather except WIND.

If you compare the size to even the MacCat Ultra you will see this thing is HUGE. And with no center guyout point, it makes for some mighty flappin' in any kind of notable wind.

If you buy one (or get for free) get ready to come up with some kind of mod to tighten up the expansive sides when the wind comes up.
    Hmmm, thanks for that info Javaman. I knew the HH hex was big, and that's part of what I find attractive - for use when traveling with a companion to cook under, etc.

But I didn't fully appreciate the wind issue.

Sigh. Never a perfect solution.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud__Bone View Post
    any thoughts on how well either the jrb combo or the hh shelter, will keep comfort in low temps? how low? awww so many decisons so little time.
    I regularly take the SS+SB down to 30F WITH A MUMMY BAG. If you are using a top quilt it won't go as low. With extra top and bottom insulation I've had it down to -27F, colder than you're likely to see on the AT unless you're doing a winter hike.

The SS is a good solution if you're going with a stock tarp, as the undercover helps keep you dry. A quilt will need extra protection. The OCF pad dries in minutes in a breeze if it gets wet. A down quilt will not.

If you're going with a bigger tarp, then a quilt makes more sense. You might want to consider a KAQ for the more moisture-robust insulation.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12