Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types

Hennessey Hammock Tarps Q's

For HH users only.

Two Questions:

I've always left my HH tarps attached to the hammock, liking the convenience of the easy put up and take down. Just roll, slide into the snake skins, stuff and go. I've never had issues of the hammock getting damp from a wet tarp.

I've noticed others putting up the tarp separately, then putting up the hammock.

1) Is this a better way? Or just personal preference?

And now, a completely different question. I don't use a tarp ridge line. Do you, and why? My tarps have never come into contact with my bug netting, so why the ridge line? Just in case you need to go to ground and use a pad?

Just curious, so I thought I'd ask.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I'm new to my HH. I have done both, bud decided (for now) to separate them. I live in an occasionally wet area and would like the flexibility of a fast tarp set up then more deliberate and protected full setup. Also, if wet, separate allows dry hammock to be kept separate of wet fly. My two cents, subject to change on any whim.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I like to keep my tarp separate, I don't use the stock Hennessy tarp, I find its just not big enough. My boyfriend used to keep his tarp in the snake skins without issue. Then he found that he liked my bigger tarp too!
    I like having the ability to set up my tarp to keep the rest of my gear dry if its raining, and I really love having a tarp that's way bigger than my hammock. When I first started out, and was using the stock tarp, I always felt really vulnerable, even though we survived some really heavy rain together and came out dry, I just never felt that confident with it.
    Debi

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ

Re: Hennessey Hammock Tarps Q's

I have the Hennessy Safari zip, with the Hex Fly and they both are rather large...I keep my tarp in separate snakeskins only because i can take my hammock down in the rain and pack up...the fly is the last thing i pack up, but that's just me...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DC125 View Post
    For HH users only.

Two Questions:

I've always left my HH tarps attached to the hammock, liking the convenience of the easy put up and take down. Just roll, slide into the snake skins, stuff and go. I've never had issues of the hammock getting damp from a wet tarp.

I've noticed others putting up the tarp separately, then putting up the hammock.

1) Is this a better way? Or just personal preference?

And now, a completely different question. I don't use a tarp ridge line. Do you, and why? My tarps have never come into contact with my bug netting, so why the ridge line? Just in case you need to go to ground and use a pad?

Just curious, so I thought I'd ask.
    We have been needing to hear from you for a long time. You need to be advising us! Have you been in some pretty good storms? And you say everything has stayed dry, wrapping the tarp and hammock up together, like HH used to recommend? Then I'm not sure why you would bother with anything else!

I used to be intrigued by this technique, it just seemed so quick and simple. But warnings about my hammock getting wet kept me from ever really trying it. Even though I talked to some of the young folks at HH ( not Tom) Plus, I always used the HHSuperShelter from day one. I never got around to seeing if I could get everything but the pad(hammock,tarp and UC) wrapped up in the skins, though I did used to wrap the hammock and UC into skins, with separate skins for my tarp.

I always wanted to try it, though. But sounds like you have done well with this approach!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I recently started hanging the tarp on it's own ridge line. The benefits of this really came through on the last two camping trips. Set up and take down were both done in the rain. All of my gear stayed dry under the tarp when putting everything up, and all my gear, and my dog, stayed dry while everything came down. The tarp stayed up for about 2 hours after packing up the hammock while the rest of camp was packed up. Nice dry spot to sit.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker ultralight zip
    Tarp
    OWL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

I used to be intrigued by this technique, it just seemed so quick and simple. But warnings about my hammock getting wet kept me from ever really trying it. Even though I talked to some of the young folks at HH ( not Tom) Plus, I always used the HHSuperShelter from day one. I never got around to seeing if I could get everything but the pad(hammock,tarp and UC) wrapped up in the skins, though I did used to wrap the hammock and UC into skins, with separate skins for my tarp.
    BillyBob, I used to fit the smaller tarp, along with the UC and the hammock into a set of skins. It was a tightish fit but it worked.

I tend to follow the same line as others now, packing my tarps into a separate set of skins (or just stuffed loose into an outer pocket of my pack. This lets me set up the tarp alone when I want to take a break from the rain.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I did not have skins with my old hammock and stuffed the whole works into a Thermarestcstuff sack strapped to the pad straps on my pack. Wet never bothered me as the little water the hammock picked up was not a problem when using a pad inside the hammock. With the new hammock I have the Hex tarp and is too big to work well attached to the prussics on the hang ropes.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    The tarp ridge line ..... If you keep the tarp attached to the hammock, have you noticed how it sags when you get in? The ridgeline keeps the tarp in one place in spite of its tendency to sag.
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    IMHO, having a separate ridgeline for the fly makes it hold a sharper crease at the top, which helps shed water quicker, which in turn makes it sag less in heavier rain. I use a light poly line that doesn't stretch when wet.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast