HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

FL hanger looking for some input from the North GA hangers

Some buddies of mine and I are looking to make a trip to N Georgia for weekend hike in late August and we could use some tips. Originally we were planning to go to Tallulah Sate Park but when we called they said no hammocks in state parks. Now I know I’ve read at least one trip report on that park but don’t want to make the drive and then be told have to sleep on the ground. So now are looking at Vogel State park and hiking the CBT/AT. Hopefully we will get to make a three day hike and if so I would like to add Blood Mountain to the hike. And here is where I could use some advice, do we just get a hiking/parking pass from Vogel and camp where ever our legs give out or are there specific areas we can hang ( I only see one designated backcountry site on the CBT). Here are my tentative plans, tell me what you think.

Three Day:
    - Hike from Vogel to AT and take it south to Trahlyta Falls Spur towards Neels0 Gap to AT and summit Blood Mountain
    - Hike down other side of blood and back to CBT and hike to back country camp site
    - Hike back to Vogel

Questions:
    1. Water resupply spots
    2. What Permits/Fees will we need
    3. Must see/do’s
    4. Bear Canister required?

Trail Map for rough ideas of route:
    http://www.gastateparks.org/content/...0-trailmap.pdf

On the AT I know of no restrictions, and I wouldn't think any would be on the other. Are you planning to use the state park just to park, or will you actually stay there a bit? The Lake Winfield Scott area is federal, backs up to near the AT not too far from Blood. This might turn out better for you.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    State Park is just for parking, would you suggest I make lake Winfred Scott a loop using Jarred Gap trail and Slaughter is one better than the other? Also, what's the mileage on that?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I agree with old4hats that Winfield Scott is probably the best loop base for Blood Mt. The Jarrard Gap-AT-Slaughter Gap loop is 6m, and its another mile to the top of Blood from Slaughter Gap. So 8m total? I wouldn't be too enthused about the road hike up to Neels Gap from Vogel, and then the steep switchback hike up to Blood from there. The AT going up the other side of Blood is a relatively tame climb, and both Jarrard and Slaughter Gap trails are are good climbs, but not particularly difficult.

What backcountry campsite were you thinking of staying at on day 2?

The other side of the 10m stretch between Neels Gap and Woody Gap is Big Cedar Mt which in my opinion, is a better destination than Blood, at least in terms of the view. Jarrard Gap is in the middle of the two, 3m from Blood and 4m from Big Cedar.

If you're camping in the section Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap, you need a bear canister. Otherwise, AT south toward Big Cedar and Woody Gap, you don't. Big Cedar has two vantage points, one of which is right on the AT and is about a half mile closer to Woody Gap. The other is a terrific campsite with good hanging. Its a blue blaze trail that goes up and to the left as you're heading south on the AT.

You could revise your schedule to be the LWS-Jarrard-Blood-Slaughter-LWS loop on day one. Day 2 could be a hike to Big Cedar and either camp there (no water) or there's a decent campsite by a stream a mile before you get to Big Cedar. Its also somewhat easy to miss as the AT doesn't cross the stream - its off to the left as you're going AT south toward Big Cedar, easy to see if you're looking for it. And then day 3 back to LWS.

Plenty of other variations available to you, but that would be my suggestion based on what you had posted.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    dakotaross,
    I will definitely look into the trails you listed. As for the back country site, I only saw one on the CBT so that is what I was thinking. Is the CBT anything worth hiking or the AT that much nicer? I really appreciate the input and food for thought. I can only research so much, but getting advice from people that have been there and done that is worth so much more.

One other question, in late August will the be much of a bug or weather issue to be wary of? Right now weather is looking mid 80's to upper 60' but it's a long way off and not sure how much diff it will be on trail.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

hang time

Quote Originally Posted by whitejb View Post
    dakotaross,
    I will definitely look into the trails you listed. As for the back country site, I only saw one on the CBT so that is what I was thinking. Is the CBT anything worth hiking or the AT that much nicer? I really appreciate the input and food for thought. I can only research so much, but getting advice from people that have been there and done that is worth so much more.

One other question, in late August will the be much of a bug or weather issue to be wary of? Right now weather is looking mid 80's to upper 60' but it's a long way off and not sure how much diff it will be on trail.
    You can literally camp anywhere on the AT or CBT, and as I know, only the AT has the bear canister restriction in the limited section aforementioned. There are well known campsites that might appear on a map or list, and typically those are around water, but not always. Are all of you hanging? If some of you are tenting, then it might be better to stick to known spots that might be large enough for all of you.

I would not say the AT is nicer than the CBT, but is likely a trail that is maintained better, which at this time of year can be an issue.

The only time I've had a problem with bugs in the Ga mountains was one very warm April when the gnats came out all at once. Never any issue with mosquitoes, which is why I've gone to a netless hammock. But its been a wet year and an especially wet summer, so you're probably best to be prepared for them.

FYI - there is no hammock policy per se at state parks in Ga. There are other policies which can come into play which might restrict where you can camp, though. Often, its because of how the landscape is scarred from tenting, so the restrictions are geared toward isolating the area that can be tented on - and from there, it can be inferred by the rangers at the parks that you may not "camp" away from those areas. Like a policy about being on a tent pad and being restrictive about not hanging from nearby trees. When in doubt, do it and apologize later. Seriously, its the only way some of these rangers will "get it". When inquiring about sites, just ask how wooded or how "cleared" they are.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    No tents, although one of our group sleeps in a sleeping bag on the ground. Good to hear about the bugs, they are always something to consider here in FL and so everyone but the sleeping bagger has a bug net. Since no one in our group has a bear canister will avoid that area for camp, and just pick a nice spot along the trail. We have packed all our water for two day trips in the past so a site having water isn't normally an issue.

Will definitely have to keep in mind about asking how wooded the sites are if we ever have to get one, but we prefer less populated areas normally.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Latest Map using for rough planning:
    http://joomla.georgia-atclub.org/pub...ap-Profile.pdf

• + New Posts