First hammock on a budget for two

Hello all! I'm looking to buy my first hammock. I'm an avid camper/hiker and I am looking to add a hammock to my gear list. I just learned about camping hammocks and I've been looking at them recently.

I have only been exposed to ENO double nest hammocks. I am going to be using this hammock mostly for hanging around while studying and such. I would like to be able to fit two people in the hammock at least sitting up.

I'm not sure about the size as I am 5'6 and 130 pounds. The largest other person in it while sitting would be my fiancé who is my height and fifteen pounds less...I was wondering if even a single person ENO would fit us both?

Are there any cheaper options out there besides ENO hammocks that would fit us?

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    well, 2 in a hammock is a TIGHT fit. it can be uncomfortable seeing as how if youre in it with 2, you tend to migrate into the middle. youll end up making a "V" more or less with your bodies and will be rather snug. good for movies maybe, not so much for comfortable studying.

if your only concern for use is more or less sitting up, then 2 single nests would do you fine (or the byers of maine hammocks)

i will only ever use a Double Nest to sleep in (by ENO that is, i have others to sleep in as well) due to the width.

ideally what id suggest is take your girl with you to an outdoors shop that sells them, and MOST places will set one up for you to try (place locally did for me when i was first interested). give it a butt test with you both, and if you find it suitable get that and a set of the Atlas Straps as those hold much better than the slap straps. this may not be the cheapest route to take, but its a great beginner setup and is simple. you can upgrade the suspension later on if you want to do more camping with it (or keep it as is, its not that bad)

another option is to see if there are any hammock events near where you are and stop by, most people there would be happy for you to try out a hammock. if you were closer id say come to my hang in september, we have an ENO setup to give away in the raffle and ill have mine there for lounging and such
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyguylal View Post
    Hello all! I'm looking to buy my first hammock. I'm an avid camper/hiker and I am looking to add a hammock to my gear list. I just learned about camping hammocks and I've been looking at them recently.

I have only been exposed to ENO double nest hammocks. I am going to be using this hammock mostly for hanging around while studying and such. I would like to be able to fit two people in the hammock at least sitting up.

I'm not sure about the size as I am 5'6 and 130 pounds. The largest other person in it while sitting would be my fiancé who is my height and fifteen pounds less...I was wondering if even a single person ENO would fit us both?

Are there any cheaper options out there besides ENO hammocks that would fit us?
    For 2 people I'm not sure I'd go with anything other than a bridge hammock like this: http://pawleysislandhammocks.com/detail.php?id=14OP

Also, I wouldn't get anything with cotton ropes or fabric. It'll rot and fall apart over time more quickly than their poly rope hammocks.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    two people in a hammock is tight. I wonder if anyone has ever had two hammock tied to the same trees and run the hammock parallel. This would allow for you to be close without taking all of the space in one hammock.

There are 20 dollar hammocks online:
    http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-GT...pr_product_top

The forest green one is under 20 right now and if you have prime shipping you can get it there in two days with no extra charge.

I have both eno double nest and this cheaper grand trunk.

I personally use the enos for me since I am over the grand trunk weight limit but I have them for friends to hang with me. Its not as fun to hang alone

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    My girlfriend and I are plenty comfortable together in the doublenest. She is also pretty tiny, though, so that may help. I only use it when we are both out somewhere, otherwise I use my tablecloth hammock.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

• + New Posts