Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Charleston, WV

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a good while getting ideas & gathering info. Spent a week with my son on an UL cot at Scout camp in a tent pitched inside one the shelters at the camp. I was quite miserable to say the least!
    I couldn't tell you how I got here, but I sure am glad I did!!! I have 25 Army surplus poles arriving tomorrow to build a few stands & haven't even put my hands on a hammock yet. Being in Scouts with my son is pretty awesome, but my size & age are making it harder & harder to camp out. I can't do much about my age, but I'm working on bringing my weight down. Something tells me though that being on the ground overnight gets harder & harder no matter the weight.
    I'm thinking this whole hanging thing is gonna be great. I drive all over the state to various hospitals at all times day & night as needed. Instead of coming down the interstate, sometimes I'll take a back road just to see how pretty it is out in the country. I'm pretty sure hanging by a trout stream would be good for the soul if I get too tired to finish that drive!
    Anywho, it's great to be here. Feels just like home.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome, eyeguy. Sounds like you've got the right approach. Holler if you head to Greenbrier or Pocahontas. I can show you a few hanging spots. Might be able to help with gear, if needed.

Thanks WV, I'll definitely do that! I don't get down there as much as I'd like, but I love it when I do get to travel through. I'm still learning, but I'm getting there.
    Hopefully, our Troop will be doing some cold weather camping this season & I'd really like to pick your brain on TQ's, UQ's, tarp placement, & other things that make hanging unique in our neck of the woods.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hello from Charleston, WV

Welcome home!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums EG! I was born and raised in Fairmont. I'm always longing for the hills. Have fun!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! HamMike, I'm always passing by Fairmont & sometimes go to the hospital there. It's hard to explain WV to folks, but once they visit, they understand. Folks always talk about where they'd live if they hit the lottery. Me? I'll stay right here. Just further away from civilization & closer to a small river. Almost Heaven pretty much says it all!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Smile big guys can hang too!!!

Hey eyeguy welcome, i am also a big guy and i refuse to let that slow me down,, What i did was picked up a hammock rated for 400 lbs and got myself some whoopies made out of the amsteel blue but upgraded to the 1/8 th size cord and wraped it around the end instead of trusting the channel, just leave whatever cord that comes with it in the channel and use you fixed loop end to wrap around the end and you are good to go! Happy hanging

I noticed in pics that some guys were doing that & figured it was due to keeping stress off the channel. Makes sense!
    I actually have a Kammok that should be here soon from their last Kickstarter campaign & just jumped on the Sierra Madre Nube that's still going on Kickstarter. If I get too impatient, I've been eyeing a switchback based on all the good reviews. Something tells me I'll end up with enough hammocks to support a small militia!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    If you're worried about that end channel you can always pass through twice before finishing up your larkshead. I hear ya on crawling out of a tent. Swinging your legs out of a hammock and just standing up beats shuffling out of a tent on your "ain't gettin any younger knees" for sure.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Hello from Morgantown! I started hanging when my son was in Boy Scouts. Never stopped!
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast