Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Minimum tarp for the Pacific Northwest?

I'm not only new to hanging, I'm new to camping in general. Besides time in the National Guard, I have spent exactly one night 30 years camping, and that was two weeks ago up in the Olympics. Two of the take away points for me from that is that the Hennessy Expedition Deluxe felt really cramped for me (just over 6', 200 lbs) and that the rain fly that came with it didn't seem like it would do much vs any kind of rain with a wind involved.

What is the minimum tarp people use in rainy areas?

And any other recommendations for comfortable hiking/camping for this particular neck of the woods?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Check out the Tadpole by Wilderness Logics. I've been through many pretty nasty storms and stayed nice and dry.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I felt really cramped in the first Hennessy I tried and the tarp really felt like it would not offer coverage in sideway rain like I get around here where I am. I am not sure which model I was in; it was not mine. I am 6'2" and about 170. Hennessy has different models that will accommodate different size campers from kids to 7' 300lbs ers so that may be part of your issue.

For the reasons above I went with a Warbonnet Blackbird and Hammock Gear full coverage tarp. I no longer feel cramped or like I am going to get wet in sideways rain. I was up in the NH White Mountains recently and my tenting friend got all wet and I was high and dry in my hammock.

As a minimum tarp for a new hammock camper I would go with at least a hex tarp. Good coverage for not too much weight. The smaller the tarp the more your set up matters. Which way is the wind blowing, how bad, is it swerling, etc. By picking a good campsite you can minimize a lot those factors and get away with a smaller tarp.

If you have not picked up the book The Ultimate Hang its only like $15 and is packed with knowledge on hanging and camping. Its a fun read too.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling

Talking NW Tarp

Welcome to Hanging.....
    I use a Tadpole and it gives me plenty of coverage. I also have a Super Fly for winter hanging. Both are great tarps.
    Peace \/

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Welcome to the board!!

I have not tried a tadpole, but it is very similer in size and shape with the Hennessy Hex tarp. I have used a Henessy hex tarp and felt well protected.

HOWEVER, in WA you could very easily find yourself in some cold mountain conditions. So you may want to consider a tarp with doors, e.g. an ''Oldman Winter'' or a Superfly from Warbonnet. Or, if you have a few samolians, an HG Cuben with doors or ZPacks Hammock Tarp with doors.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Very good advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Welcome to the board!!

I have not tried a tadpole, but it is very similer in size and shape with the Hennessy Hex tarp. I have used a Henessy hex tarp and felt well protected.

HOWEVER, in WA you could very easily find yourself in some cold mountain conditions. So you may want to consider a tarp with doors, e.g. an ''Oldman Winter'' or a Superfly from Warbonnet. Or, if you have a few samolians, an HG Cuben with doors or ZPacks Hammock Tarp with doors.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomShots View Post
    I'm not only new to hanging, I'm new to camping in general. Besides time in the National Guard, I have spent exactly one night 30 years camping, and that was two weeks ago up in the Olympics. Two of the take away points for me from that is that the Hennessy Expedition Deluxe felt really cramped for me (just over 6', 200 lbs) and that the rain fly that came with it didn't seem like it would do much vs any kind of rain with a wind involved.

What is the minimum tarp people use in rainy areas?

And any other recommendations for comfortable hiking/camping for this particular neck of the woods?

Thanks in advance.
    You can stay dry with the stock HH tarps I did but you have to pay attention to the direction your hanging and tighten everything down tight to the hammock so there is no real seeing anything in that mode. The Explorer has much more room and is my go to hammock..

I found the best size tarp for the NW was the Mambajamba and Superfly depending if you want doors or not.. I miss my Mambajama sometimes. They give you a nice coverage, enough area you can sit under and cook and in most weather you can still be able to look around from within your hammock.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    A hex with a grizz beak will handle a lot of weather:

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/tarpaccessories.html

or roll your own.

As far as the hammock goes were you cramped or just experiencing the way hammocks tend to close in cuddle a body? One aspect of hammocking is that they do tend to snuggle close. Some folks like the feeling and some get claustrophobic.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Cost is less a factor in the respect of "Do I have the money?" than "How much am I going to spend finding out if I like this stuff or not?"

Examples so far have been the HH from REI for $170ish, to find out that the Yukkon Outfitters Double I bought off of Woot.com for $25 is far more comfortable, and the Big Agnes air mattress was not nearly as comfortable and easy to use in the hammock as the 1/4" pad from Gossamer Gear at less than half the cost.

At present, I'm not expecting to dealing with snow. On the other hand, if I choose to go out to the coast I'll be dealing with a rain forest that, even in the summer, has really heavy fogs at night with an ocean breeze.

I have been seriously tempted to mess around with making my own gear. Two things holding me back there are 1) no sewing machine and 2) not knowing how to sew. Although I did have an offer from one of my many sisters who does quilting to grab the materials and go visit and just make it all. Problem there is she lives 800 miles away.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Minimum tarp for the Pacific Northwest?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomShots View Post
    I have been seriously tempted to mess around with making my own gear. Two things holding me back there are 1) no sewing machine and 2) not knowing how to sew. Although I did have an offer from one of my many sisters who does quilting to grab the materials and go visit and just make it all. Problem there is she lives 800 miles away.
    Great excuse to go visit!? Do your research, ask your questions, buy the materials and myog (make your own gear) it's fun and makes you appreciate your gear more, you'll learn a useful skill and have a hobby within a hobby.

If you decide not to then you can't do better than ANY of the cottage manufacturers here.

Oh, welcome to the forum!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast