Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!

Third Annual Oregon Summer Hang!

It's still in progress, so I thought i'd start the trip report thread while they are all away and have it ready for them when they get back Wish I could have gone this year

BF

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    First off, I would like to thank the incredible vendors that contributed raffle prizes in support of the USO-United Servicemen's Organization. You guys are truly awesome!!

Thank you!!
    Thank you!!
    Thank you!!

Wahtum Lake gave the hang her best -- with sun, soft breezes, and a couple inspiring thunder storms. Although our stay was far shorter than we wanted, it was SO lovely seeing everyone! (We don't get to see you guys often enough!) And, those who could not make it were missed.

Extra special thanks to RIP for coordinating and M.C.'ing the raffle. You are top notch!!

DFab and I took a couple shots during our Saturday visit.
    They are located here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1268576...7635024169777/

Hammock
    Tree2Tree Switchback..Pink Panther
    Tarp
    AHE Toxiway Lylac!
    Insulation
    Golite top/BF UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    RIP Thank you for taking over for Matt. I wish we could have been there but work for Matt and a Convention for me prevented us from attending. Hopefully next year!! Congrats to everyone that won and Thanks for your donations to the USO who have helped my son to make his deployment a little easier!!!
    Last edited by tweety; 08-11-2013 at 14:48. Reason: mispelling
    LIVE.. LOVE.. LAUGH... AND DRIVE BF CRAZY!!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Good Outing

First and foremost a big high 5 for the folks that.. among criticism and then obligations that kept them from participating put together a pretty good hammock hang.
    Wahtum Lake did pose some challenges for a group hang. The nature of a wilderness area spread out around the lake made for good hanging, but did not allow for us to hang as a big group. That had pluses and minus's but by and large was doable.
    The weather was fun... If you like lots of it. Hot, chilly, rain, thunder and lightening.. really.. there is nothing better than hanging while thunder roles around the valley and a great light show. There is something awesome about the pitter patter of rain on nylon... ahhh made for a great nights sleep in the blackbird.
    The fellowship is what it is all about. Ben.. thanks for getting the "Base camp" set up. It was great to meet your family. Rip, you did a fantastic job as host and MC for the raffle. Thanks to all the folks that donated the wonderful prizes! You all rock! Especially Underground quilts.. cause I won your prize.. I'll be getting in touch soon.
    I was great to meet everyone else, John, Robert, Eric and your son Parker... way to get that young man started!!... I am leaving some folks out and I am sorry.. it would not have been such a fun time without all of you. Kayt, great seeing you again.. been way to long, to bad you couldn't have 'hung out' more.
    We are blessed here in Oregon to live a a place known for TREES... we really need to step up in the hammock forums world. We need to get more folks out there for our hangs and grow our hammock community. Geez... they can do it in Kansas for crying out loud... and they don't have trees in Kansas... I kid.
    Anyway... great hang... learned some new tips and trick, hung out with cool folks and got a FANTASTIC nights sleep.
    Thanks again Big Foot, Rip, and Ben for taking the lead on this.
    We have some good ideas for next summer... Yeah.. I'll throw my hat in the ring to help get that ball rolling.
    Thanks again all...
    Oh by they way... my video did not work out... so none this time. dang.
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    C'mon, guys.....pics or it didn't happen. You know the rules.....

BF

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp

My Families Experience at the Hang

Well it was a good one. My family and I arrived on Thursday at dusk. We didn't know what to expect and I honestly did not do much research about where the campsites where. We huffed in our stuff and camped at the first campsite we came across. After the fire was started and the hammocks where hung my wife found a sign. You guessed it No Camping No Fires. Ooopps, sorry forest service.

The next day after sleeping in a bit we went exploring for other places to camp. Tyler and I headed North on the PCT and found only 1 other site that was occupied. Good hanging trees though. We continued up the trail about 15 minutes or a mile or so and since the trail did not head back down to the lake we turned around. My wife found a good place to hang south bound on the PCT so we moved over there.

That day Nuttysquirrel and his family arrived. I was happy that he arrived because the relationship between my son and daughter changed very quickly now that Tyler had a boy his age to bother instead of his sister. My son caught and cooked many crawdads during the trip. Ed arrived a bit later as I was heading out to get some section hikers who happened by some brews. We had a nice campfire that night.

The following day SMJerry arrived in the morning time followed by Ericfromportland and his son, and two other guys (Sorry i forgot your names but remember you met at church). Then Kayt, Dfab, HurtingHeart and daughter or mother arrived (Sorry don't remember which of you is hurting heart).

Then begins my exciting entertaining story of the trip. So it was before the raffle and I noticed we needed more firewood so Tyler, NuttySquirrel and myself went off hunting firewood with saw and mora knife in hand. Tyler and NuttySquirrel started cutting up branches off of a dead fall branch and I went about another 20 yards up the trail and then up into the forest to find other sources of wood. I found a bunch that was nice and dry and large. I started throwing it down the hill so I would not have to drag it through all of the crazy underbrush. Well just before the last throw down to the trail I went up and reached down for the wood. I got stung 5 times as I was doing that which of course made me take off like a bolt screaming ouch. I got to where Tyler and Nuttysquirrel had come down from their log and I stopped. Then I got stung on the back. At that point I decided to make a run for it. I took off my shirt and hat and started running down the trail for all I was worth. My son bless his heart was acting like the swarm was after us which made me and nuttysquirrel run even faster. From here I will break to another's story of what happened next. As many who where there can attest there is some good amount of underbrush around the campsites and along the trail. Well my daughter was sitting in camp on an elevated log that had fallen down giving her the best view of camp. Well she and everyone else had heard my screams of pain and where wondering what was up. What she saw probably traumatizing for her because she saw me running down the trail from about navel up without any clothes on. She of course thinks at first is he clothed? I come bolting into the campsite area expecting that if there was still stinging ******* bugs following me that I would jump into the water, cigarettes and all. At this point EVERYONE who came for the raffle was standing around wondering as well. Well luckily my son had lied and the swarm was not following us. As you may have surmised that last hurl of wood down the hill had opened up a nest of swarming little black stinging insects. A great laugh was had by all at my expense of course and I took it with dignity and beer to take the sting out of well the sting. My lovely wife went and got out of my first aid kit some sting relief pads which didn't really help that much.

Ok now to what should have been the most entertaining part of the evening the raffle. I had brought 4 people and once Kayt and the 4 people that came with her showed up I decided to buy 4 tickets. My wife Becky won a Wilderness Logics synthetic hammock pillow which she reports as nice and warm. My son Tyler won a $35 gift certificate to 2QZQ, I won a set of whoopie slings which I had been neglecting to make for about a year anyway. My daughter however won one of the great prizes if not the prize from further away which is a customized (probably with some electric pink coloring) UK Hammocks hammock which may make an appearance with me at a hang sometime in the future (perhaps the winter hang where the really nutty people hang out). Kayt who makes her own whoopies slings according to DFab almost weekly gave me the set she won so now I can neglect to make them again for almost another year. Thanks Kayt and to Wilderness Logics, Whoopie Slings.com, 2QZQ, and UK Hammocks for your donations to my family and I.

The following day we where the last to leave and the only interesting thing about that is we decided to pack everything out in one go which of course meant that I was carrying about 90 lbs of stuff on my back with a pack I hate.

We all ended up having fun however and thanks to everyone who came and to all of the vendors!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    thanks again to the generous donors!
    solid gear raffled off to some lucky hangers. lovely.
    i took home a wilderness logics t shirt

we earned $320 to donate to USO.

the lightning, thunder and rain was awesome, and though wathum proved a bit difficult for the group hang --- it was a beautiful spot. (regards to those who stumbled down to my hippie bath )

good to see some familiar faces and a pleasure to meet some new folks.
    i look forward to hanging with everyone soon.

no pics from this guy
    Last edited by rip waverly; 08-12-2013 at 19:08.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    "it was a beautiful spot. (regards to those who stumbled down to my hippie bath"

Now i'm sorta glad I didn't make it Downtown Brown strikes again!

BF

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    thanks again to the generous donors!
    solid gear raffled off to some lucky hangers. lovely.
    i took home a wilderness logics t shirt

we earned $320 to donate to USO.

the lightning, thunder and rain was awesome, and though wathum proved a bit difficult for the group hang --- it was a beautiful spot. (regards to those who stumbled down to my hippie bath )

good to see some familiar faces and a pleasure to meet some new folks.
    i look forward to hanging with everyone soon.

no pics from this guy

It's alright Ed you prob just looked like a stick in the mud.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Well, everyone else has said everything I could type, so I guess I will just say very well done, weather was perfect, no difficult folks, no roudies, no police everything was just perfect. The only yelling I head was from the direction of the Hammock Forums group!
    I am so glad we were able to be a part of the Hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast