Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: A lot harder than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by pebbles View Post
    As a bricklayer I can tell you braided mason line is surprisingly strong. You should be fine with 17 lbs line. They also make a waxed line that might hold good but it harder to find
    Are you a mason?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I know everyone is trying to solve the teflon coating issue on the zing-it and lash-it, here's how I do it: for my ridgeline, I stretch it out between two points under a good tension then run a prusik over it 8 or 10 times end to end putting a good amount of friction on the line. Wear gloves to do this and you will notice the line starts to stretch as you work and you need to take up the slack. What you're after is a slightly dull appearance and a bit fuzzy. Eventually the prusiks will soften up after use. I've often wondered if snapping them on a biner and running them through the dishwasher would soften them up quicker. It just seemed that getting wet a few times always got the line to start softening up.

All I can say is that after the lines get soft, the prusiks lock up almost too good at times and I usually don't need extra wraps.

David

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks everyone, gonna try it again today.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    That is why I started cheap and Simple
    An ENO setup I have my hammock tarp and bug net
    Up in less the 5 minutes
    Atlas straps and biners all the way
    For ease and speed you can't beat it
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    to receive an order & have EVERYTHING go together instantaneously & perfectly(in your eyes) would be the ultimate fantasy come true

even though you have ideas similar to those of others, your fingers, hands & eyes are quite different

we all do things a bit differently, though they might seem the same

HAVE PATIENCE, you're not quite 48 hours into ownership of your gear

darn few of us have perfected our HANG in such short time

good thing you are doing trial runs & didn't expect to have YOUR perfect hang on the 1st set, when you were dropt on the ground, in a torrential rain storm, 6 miles from the last bit of civilization...

we have all had our set backs & it is doubtful that any of us have had OUR PERFECT HANG on the 1st try

i, for 1, am still perfecting MY HANG

& having a lot of fun in the process

lotsa good information/suggestions/advice above

keep trying different methods & equipment, until you get a system you can depend on

then you will find that you will continue to tweak it, forever, as you read more & new products become available

good luck w/ your system

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    ...the teflon coating issue on the zing-it and lash-it...
    Just for accuracy...it is a urethane coating, not teflon.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks to everyone's help with everything. I got home this morning and began the process of setting up and unless I am missing something I got it right. No doubt things can be tweaked and the process perfected over time.

When I started my job over twenty years ago I was no where near as good at it as I am today, makes sense.

Thanks to jccavenagh for suggesting the CRL from Dejoha's, that immediately corrected my issues..thanks! Everything else seemed to come together.

I was going to let my little girl use my one man tent tonight and sleep off to the side of me but she insisted she hang in the Yukon outfitters hammock. I am very excited that she wants to hang, I hope it goes ok. I went down to TSC and picked up an 8x10 tarp and strung it up like I had been doing it forever, thanks to the help I have gotten here.

We are both using our Big Agnes inflatable insulated pads, hers wrapped in a poncho liner that I managed to keep, compliments of the Marine Corps. Both of us are using our Big Agnes bags zipped down with just a foot box. Wish us luck. If things go bad we can walk out of my woods into my yard and into my house.

A big thanks to this site and the great people that hang here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

when ever I need more bite out of a prusik I switch it over to a klemheist. Super grippy.

-Loki

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Thanks to jccavenagh for suggesting the CRL from Dejoha's, that immediately corrected my issues..thanks!
    Hey, don't thank me, I just led you to the source.

[QUOTE=fiveonomo;1069552]I am very excited that she wants to hang, I hope it goes ok.[QUOTE]

Pics or it didn't happen...
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Thanks to everyone's help with everything. I got home this morning and began the process of setting up and unless I am missing something I got it right. No doubt things can be tweaked and the process perfected over time.

When I started my job over twenty years ago I was no where near as good at it as I am today, makes sense.

Thanks to jccavenagh for suggesting the CRL from Dejoha's, that immediately corrected my issues..thanks! Everything else seemed to come together.

I was going to let my little girl use my one man tent tonight and sleep off to the side of me but she insisted she hang in the Yukon outfitters hammock. I am very excited that she wants to hang, I hope it goes ok. I went down to TSC and picked up an 8x10 tarp and strung it up like I had been doing it forever, thanks to the help I have gotten here.

We are both using our Big Agnes inflatable insulated pads, hers wrapped in a poncho liner that I managed to keep, compliments of the Marine Corps. Both of us are using our Big Agnes bags zipped down with just a foot box. Wish us luck. If things go bad we can walk out of my woods into my yard and into my house.

A big thanks to this site and the great people that hang here.
    The setup looks sweet. Good for you on the little one hanging with you. Before long, you will be giving advise to the next set of noobs

Just to let you know, your right on prussic line being smaller than host line. I also use braided mason's line with a 3 wrap prussic to small keychain ring on my tarp. It hasn't failed me yet.

Your 17lbs line is enough. You don't want to crank it down, just snug the tarp and the guy lines will take care of the rest.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast