Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thumbs up Hammock System Test #1 - BB, SnugFit, MacCat SpinnUL Deluxe

So I was able to get some time last night and try my new hammocking system:

Warbonnet BB double 1.7
    Speer SnugFit Universal Model
    OES MacCat SpinnUL Deluxe

First of all, let me thank everyone here at HF for their posts in the past regarding hammocking and insulation. The knowledge pool here is amazing.

While I have put these together before, this is the first night that it's been cold enough to sleep in it.

The recording thermometer registered a low of 33 degrees at 5:45am this morning here in White House, TN. I was using a REI 25 degree bag as a top quilt, and had just a t shirt, basketball shorts, and SmartWool socks as clothing.

The system performed flawlessly. There were no cold spots whatsoever inside the hammock with regards to my back or sides. As a matter of fact, sometimes I had to put a leg or arm out from underneath the top quilt.

Tonight is supposed to get down to below freezing, so I'm going to try it out again to see what happens then.

A collective shoutout to Brandon, Ed, and Brian for their excellent products. The workmanship on all of these products are perfect. American Quality and ingenuity is very much alive and well at these companies.

Randy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Good stuff. Let us know how your below freezing test works out.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Very nice set-up! Glad you got the results you were hoping for and I think you'll be just as pleased tonight when it gets even cooler. You really went top-shelf across the board didn't you?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Sounds like an awesome set up from almost all the cottage guys. Now you just need a JRB quilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Very nice set-up! Glad you got the results you were hoping for and I think you'll be just as pleased tonight when it gets even cooler. You really went top-shelf across the board didn't you?
    Got that part right Cannibal. I was enticed into going down this road with the BB and SnugFit by Shadowmoss, so a shoutout goes to her as well.

My main thinking in all of this is I wanted to go more lightweight than the system I was previously using. With the BB/SnugFit/SpinnUL tarp, I am a good 2 pounds lighter than my previous system of HH Explorer Deluxe/HH 70D tarp/SuperShelter. The majority of the weight was in the hammock itself.

With regards to the tarp decision, Brian made me a good deal on the SpinnUL tarp. He had one with a slight cosmetic damage on it, and dropped the price about $25 dollars IIRC.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    Sounds like an awesome set up from almost all the cottage guys. Now you just need a JRB quilt.
    I've been thinking about either a Mt. Washington quilt for winter hanging or the 4 season Yeti... For a winter tarp I'm contemplating a SWT or the SuperFly... But first I have to replenish the funds.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You invested in wonderful gear so success was guaranteed.... plus it seems you studied up and your work paid off.
    Terrific to read a successful hang.
    I need a proper TQ as well as I use a sleeping bag too. Soon .... gotta see my tax situation ... the curse of the self-employed.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I'm glad my being a gear-head has helped someone. Also nice to know that when I get around to actually using my gear that it will perform as well as I thought it would.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I'm glad my being a gear-head has helped someone. Also nice to know that when I get around to actually using my gear that it will perform as well as I thought it would.
    It most certainly worked in this case.... I'm outside in my hammock right now (love wireless Internet) typing this.... Temp is 36 degrees right now... wind is about 5 mph from the NE... Wind chill is 32 degrees right now. The SnugFit is most certainly doing a great job as the UQ. My back and legs and buttocks are nice and toasty!

Randy

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

2nd night

Well, it didn't get as cold as it was supposed to last night, but it technically did go below freezing. The temperature itself got down to 30 degrees last night, and the wind chill dropped it to 28 degrees.

Again, I was in a light T-Shirt, shorts, and SmartWool socks. Using the REI 25 degree bag as a top quilt, I felt very comfortable the first part of the night.

I did notice that around 4 AM this morning that my nose and lips where getting a bit colder, so I put on my balaclava and that really helped. I noted the temperature at that point and it was 30 degrees. The rest of my body was very comfortable.

At no point during these test did my feet, legs, buttocks, back and arms ever get cold. And again, using the sleeping bag as a top quilt, I had to put a leg or arm outfrom underneath of it to keep comfortable, and not break out in a sweat.

So in closing, let me say that in my case the system can go as low as 30 degrees and still be very warm and toasty. I am a bit of a warm sleeper, so YMMV.

Again, a big shoutout to Brandon, Ed and Brian. This particular package here is lightweight, sturdy and the quality is impeccable on each of your products.

Also, a HUGE shoutout to Shadowmoss for the demo of the Blackbird hammock at one of our Nashville Pizza nights and the initial comment about the SnugFit.

Last, but certainly not least, a shoutout to each and everyone here at HF. The camaraderie and subject knowledge is second to none.

Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast