Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UQ supposed to replace a bag?

I'm confused by this... We went camping last winter down east on the Neusiok, where the temps dropped into the low 30's at night. I was fine with a pad and a 20F bag - with full jammies and a beanie. Predictably, the pad was a PITA. I'd like to get rid of that. I know it probably didn't provide much insultation, but it was better than nothing. Regardless, I started looking at uq.

So do you folks not use a bag when using an underquilt (~40F+)? and is that sort of the point?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    In the 70's will often require some type of under insulation. On your trip the pad most likely provided more insulation than you think. Laying on the sleeping bag compress's the insulation in the bag leaving it almost useless. So with the pad you were getting your insulation properties from it.

With an UQ it hangs below the hammock therefore not getting compressed and it is adjusted to pull up against the bottom of hammock so the insulation can do its job. Hope that helps
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    The underquilt just insulates beneath you (and eliminates the need for a pad, assuming a full-length quilt, but that's getting into a whole other can of worms). People still use a top quilt, blanket, or open their sleeping bag to put above them.
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Ok, I guess I'm hoping that the uq and a tq are sufficient and would be easier/smaller to pack than a bag. Space is an issue for me (not weight so much). I really like my pack, but it is small.

Yeah, that's my question. Are they (combined) typically smaller than a normal 20F bag?

I would say a TQ and UQ would be slightly larger in vloume than just a sleeping bag.

If you want to see how low the volume of a hammock setup can be watch this video.

Loner did an AT thru hike with this 20L pack and a down bag and down UQ. I would guess that going to a top quilt of equal quality would have saved him maybe 2-3 oz but marginal volume.

Also this is a budget gear setup.
    His base weight without hiking poles is about 9#.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVoX6mlmdI

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
    ... Are they (combined) typically smaller than a normal 20F bag?
    No, but they are smaller than a 20F bag plus a pad and generally thought to be more comfortable.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
    Ok, I guess I'm hoping that the uq and a tq are sufficient and would be easier/smaller to pack than a bag. Space is an issue for me (not weight so much). I really like my pack, but it is small.

Yeah, that's my question. Are they (combined) typically smaller than a normal 20F bag?
    That depends on what you are calling a "normal 20F bag". If you are talking a down bag the answer is normally no. If you are talking a synthetic bag then perhaps. Perhaps is because if you are getting a down TQ and UQ then compressing it tight, I will usually compress smaller than a synthetic bag. If you are getting a synthetic TQ and/or UQ then it is unlikely they will both compress smaller than a down bag.

Does that make sense?

It does - thank all yall.

I guess I'm just concerned with accessorizing myself right out of this pack.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Custom Nunatak dwn
    Suspension
    whoop-whoop
    check out Nunatak gear. hand made down gear out of washington. they are a little pricey, but for the quality you get, its worth every penny. had a custon sized UQ made to match the cut of my hennesy asym. at only 12oz.
    paired with the Arc ghost at 14oz, you wont find better packability or warmth

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For myself I can get a good bit smaller packed size out of ground camping gear than hammock camping gear. However the reason to pick the hammock is that I sleep 100% better....in that I can actually sleep in the hammock and just spend all night tossing and turning and finding sore bones and muscles when on the ground. I would say that the hammock gear I take on most trips ends up being 15-20% more pack volume used than the ground gear. But I can sleep. Weigh wise I can get very close..but volume seems to be a little more tricky to equalize.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast