Warbonnet XLC Blackbird dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    ancient ThermaRest
    Suspension
    Straps & rings

Hanging = Spousal separation?

Okay, bought an ENO DoubleNest in early May as a first time hanger. Slept so blissfully during backyard trials that I promptly ordered a Warbonnet BB XLC which arrived a few days ago.

So I've been hanging pretty much every night since early May.

But oh what to do about spousal separation? At bedtime, we kiss goodnight and she goes to the ol' king-sized mattress whilst I go to the hammock on our screened in porch.

I've slept better than I have in years: my back's better, & no sinus headache in the morning as when mattress sleeping. I may never go back to a regular bed.

However, there are now lapses in the other benefits of "mattress sleeping." I'm 60 years old: should I just stay the hammock course and chalk the lapses up to age? Or give up on the clear sinuses and stronger back gained in the hammock?

Most fortunately my dear wife is used to a certain amount of craziness in our 40 year marriage and understands that I'm on a quest.

But I'd love to hear how the rest of you handle a non-hammocking spouse or significant other.

Tad

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole Trekker View Post
    Okay, bought an ENO DoubleNest in early May as a first time hanger. Slept so blissfully during backyard trials that I promptly ordered a Warbonnet BB XLC which arrived a few days ago.

But oh what to do about spousal separation? At bedtime, we kiss goodnight and she goes to the ol' king-sized mattress whilst I go to the hammock on our screened in porch.

I've slept better than I have in years: my back's better, & no sinus headache in the morning as when mattress sleeping. I may never go back to a regular bed.

However, there are now lapses in the other benefits of "mattress sleeping." I'm 60 years old: should I just stay the hammock course and chalk the lapses up to age? Or give up on the clear sinuses and stronger back gained in the hammock?

Most fortunately my dear wife is used to a certain amount of craziness in our 40 year marriage and understands that I'm on a quest.

But I'd love to hear how the rest of you handle a non-hammocking spouse or significant other.

Tad
    Convert her over..lol...i'm a convert and now that I too have no back pain while sleeping in the hammock...I've then now suggested to the hubs that we get rid of the bed and hang hammocks in the bedroom...or at the very least hang them over the bed
    Missy Lou - Senior Tarp Queen @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &amp;Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole Trekker View Post

Tad
    Might depend on how long you can tolerate not having the "other benefits."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We removed the issue and got rid of the bed altogether.

We each sleep in our own large cotton hammocks, but frequently make time for the other benefits when we share a single hammock for the night. If she wasn't a hanger, I'm not sure it would work for us. Thanks to the hammock-Gods that I found myself a hanger!
    Trust nobody!

Buy or build a hammock bed! Some neat ones on google search

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I suggest you use both items for what they're best suited for. A hammock for sleeping and a mattress for cuddling.
    I'm also planning to put a hammock in the bedroom, but haven't got the hardware installed yet.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I love sleeping in my hammock out back but also miss that connection when I do.

To add to the other responses, I would offer that you try and put a stand(TDS type or other) or use eyebolts on the wall close to her side to "give the illusion" ,for lack of better term, that your next to each other. That gives you the best of both worlds if she will not sleep in a hammock.

Just make one side removeable to "make your bed" every morning. Detach the foot end and hang it to the head end to get out of the way.

Good luck and hope your back stays healthy.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    Having a well-rested husband was enough to convince me, but then I realized I would benefit as much as he, since I have a wonky hip and back...so we got rid of the bed. You can see our set-up in my gallery. I still miss sleeping in his arms sometimes, but his health is much more important. And now he sits next to me on the couch when we watch tv, so it's a win-win situation.

kc Fulltime Hammocker, thanks to Olddog, Samsara, and Duffy!
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Images
    I've been hanging with my hubby - in the same hammock - for ... almost a month now, I think. We've at this point figured out several ways to sleep -- either making two separate hammocks from one, where there's a short wall between us but we can still see and reach each other, or snuggling right up together across the width instead of length. The later is a bit less comfortable but still works

We use an 'XX Grande' size mayan (10-12 feet across) and the loose weave really makes it more comfortable to sleep up against each other (and I'm not a snuggler -- on a bed I'm usually as far away as possible from the body heat source). Sleep now is 'weird' compared to what I'm used to, but sooooo much more comfortable than bed sleeping ever was.

We do have a second hammock set up bunk style in case we annoy each other, but it has yet to happen (my husband is a VERY restless sleeper, but so far he's sleeping much more soundly, apart from halfway through the night he seems to forget he's in a hammock and has various types of 'freak-out-omg-where-am-I-why-am-I-flying' things)

(oh, and 'everything else' works out fine too)

You should have your wife read this thread. Maybe we could convert her!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 &amp; 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Sometimes the best comedy comes from truth...Separation
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast