WBBB XLC, NX-250, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HGBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie

TQ and UQ for temps near or below 0 degrees

This spring and summer I have been saving up for quality TQ and UQ. It is my grand plan to tryout winter camping this year. Since I live in Minnesota I need some gear to take me down to or below 0 degrees.

Here are some things to help narrow the perimeters in:
    - I would like to start with a full length UQ
    - I am 6'-1" and 225 lbs
    - Currently, I am hanging with a WBBB XLC and Superfly

Would love some suggestions from those out there that have had experience with these cold temps and products that they would recommend.

Cheers.

jetsam

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsam View Post
    This spring and summer I have been saving up for quality TQ and UQ. It is my grand plan to tryout winter camping this year. Since I live in Minnesota I need some gear to take me down to or below 0 degrees.

Here are some things to help narrow the perimeters in:
    - I would like to start with a full length UQ
    - I am 6'-1" and 225 lbs
    - Currently, I am hanging with a WBBB XLC and Superfly

Would love some suggestions from those out there that have had experience with these cold temps and products that they would recommend.

Cheers.

jetsam
    I can't help with actual experience at those temperatures, but I can tell you that the quilts I use, from three of our popular vendors (Arrowhead Equipment, Underground Quilts and Jacks R Better), have proven to be conservatively temperature rated. I would have no doubts that a quilt from any of these makers rated to 0* would be good for it, and more (or less, depending on how you look at it!).

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, NX-250, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HGBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks desmobob for the insight.

Images
    i have used the JRB 0 degree underquilt below 0 many times. the names have changed since i bought it in '08. i use their top quilt also. used on a thru and used no extra clothes to stay warm. just wore boxers and T.
    have a 3/4 Tewa 0 degree winter coat that has only been down to 3. no opportunity for below that.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Stick with the little guys and you should be good on the ratings. Like desmobob said, they are generally conservative with their ratings.

If I were to buy a full-length UQ today (because I need more freaking dead geese in my house) it would most likely be an Incubator from Hammock Gear. I like the design and the quality of construction on them and they are active members here, which helps.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i have used the JRB 0 degree underquilt below 0 many times. the names have changed since i bought it in '08.
    I just saw that the other day. I assume you speak of the Rocky Mtn Sniveler? Still my goto topquilt when Jack Frost is on the prowl.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I just saw that the other day. I assume you speak of the Rocky Mtn Sniveler? Still my goto topquilt when Jack Frost is on the prowl.
    yes, that's the top quilt (all my top quilts are wearable), but the under was called Mt. Wash. now Mt. Wash "4"
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    yes, that's the top quilt (all my top quilts are wearable), but the under was called Mt. Wash. now Mt. Wash "4"
    Yep, I have used that MW4, but only on a bridge and only to 10F ( pretty rare to get lower than that around here). But, my back was more than warm enough. Actually, I have used it on a WBBB, and was very toasty, but it was only 18F. But there was poor tarp coverage, a lot of exposure, and a lot of wind, still did just fine. I have also used used an MW3 short ( the DC'ed convertible model) at some cold temps. worked great but have not yet been able to push it's limits. I'm sure it would be fine at 15-20F.

If you have a hammock where you can get the net totally out of the way, and especially any of the narrower hammocks like a Claytor No Net or such, Don't forget to consider Speer PeaPods or PolarPods at
    http://www.tttrailgear.com/insulation/

Just another approach to consider, especially if you are going full length. Remember when looking at the weight and cost of these to compare to a TQ/UQ combo. With the PeaPod for sure, you will need to add some top and bottom insulation to reach zero, but that is one of the great benefits of the system. It is easy to add ant clothing not slept in, or summer weigh UQs, to greatly exceed the ratings, and leave them out when you don't need them. There might well be lighter or less bulky ways to go, but it is about the most draft proof approach in my experience, so pros and cons as always.

Lots of other good choices also!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, NX-250, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HGBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Can you still get the Rocky Mtn Sniveler? I look at the JRB site and didn't see that model...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, NX-250, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HGBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Stick with the little guys and you should be good on the ratings. Like desmobob said, they are generally conservative with their ratings.

If I were to buy a full-length UQ today (because I need more freaking dead geese in my house) it would most likely be an Incubator from Hammock Gear. I like the design and the quality of construction on them and they are active members here, which helps.
    I was leaning towards the Hammock Gear quilts but then looked at the JRB quilts and they seem to have more down. Prices are very similar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast