Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

I just cant figure it out..

I picked up a 'No Net' and been playing with it all evening. I wanted it because Im fixin to do the AT in the Smokey's with some others and I cant stand the shelters (kills my back), so Im hoping to hang off the trail (shhh). I got the No Net for the double bottom to put my pad into. Much lighter than my underquilt and I may need the pad in case i have to do the shelter thing anyway. Problem is, its very uncomfortable for me. I think its the design. When I made my DIY Speer, I drew up the sides so the middle of the hammock doesnt have that "ridge feel" in the middle to it. My DIY has a banana dip where its very comfortable to sleep diagonal. Not so with this Claytor. I tried all kinds of configurations. Lots of drop, no drop, et al. My question is, does having the net attached to these hammocks make all the difference or is this the nature of this critter? thanx, bill

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I know for me I sleep with much less of a diagonal in my claytor than in other hammocks.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    You might try whipping the end like your DIY Speer.
    I have pretty sensitive shoulders and for me my JH feels best with a lot of sag.

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl & Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD & Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    My Claytor double bottom / bugnet is a rectangle. The bugnet is the exact same size as the hammock bottom.
    It makes no difference in diagonal comfort if I deploy the bugnet (Claytor image) or flip the hammock 180 to put bugnet on bottom (no net ? just not used).

My take on the diagonal comfort issue is based on three other hammocks I own,
    the longer and wider (width makes more difference than length) the basic rectangle the better the diagonal lay. Sag (or lack-of) fine tunes this quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dually; 03-20-2009 at 14:33.
    Travels with Samantha

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Don't have a Claytor but I've made something similar to this one I made for the grandkids:

Mine lays more comfortably if I hang it with quite a bit less sag than with my Speerish hammocks. My diagonal lay ends up less pronounced, i.e., closer to the centerline. The comfort level also depends significantly on where I put my butt; an inch or two right or left makes a noticeable difference.

YMMV, obviously

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Stretch.. good idea

I think I will do that.. thanx

I just got a Claytor Jungle Hammock, but am clueless with knots. What is the best way to learn a knot for this hammock. The one on their site seems a bit complex. Any ideas?

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by singhp View Post
    I just got a Claytor Jungle Hammock, but am clueless with knots. What is the best way to learn a knot for this hammock. The one on their site seems a bit complex. Any ideas?
    Build your own suspension for it. It's really painless once you decide what you want. I went with a cinch buckle system on mine and it worked flawlessly on it's maiden voyage last weekend. Check out the suspension forum here, AWESOME info!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by singhp View Post
    MAYBE this will help:

http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline...matedknots.com

If you use that stock Claytor webbing as suggested by Claytor, you will need an extra overhand knot or two to keep rain from wicking.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    I picked up a 'No Net' and been playing with it all evening. I wanted it because Im fixin to do the AT in the Smokey's with some others and I cant stand the shelters (kills my back), so Im hoping to hang off the trail (shhh). I got the No Net for the double bottom to put my pad into. Much lighter than my underquilt and I may need the pad in case i have to do the shelter thing anyway. Problem is, its very uncomfortable for me. I think its the design. When I made my DIY Speer, I drew up the sides so the middle of the hammock doesnt have that "ridge feel" in the middle to it. My DIY has a banana dip where its very comfortable to sleep diagonal. Not so with this Claytor. I tried all kinds of configurations. Lots of drop, no drop, et al. My question is, does having the net attached to these hammocks make all the difference or is this the nature of this critter? thanx, bill
    I don't think the net has much to do with that particular problem, I have found it to a greater or lesser degree with all gathered end hammocks. My Claytor No Net actually has it a bit less than most, and I had the netted JH, and it was about the same in this matter.You probably will need something under your knees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast