Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images

Which HH Zipper Mod and Why

I am going to be sending my HH off for a zipper mod to 2QZQ this fall/winter. I am on the fence as to which one to have done. Due to mobility issues I will be continuing to use the bottom entry.

So which mod did you get? Why did you choose it? What do you like, dislike, or wish you had done differently?

I know the work from 2QZQ is excellent so that is not in question.

Thank you for your feedback!

Images
    I just got mine back with a MOD 4. I kept the bottom entry (to use during warmer/buggy hangs).

I got the MOD because I wanted to not use the bottom entry when hanging in colder times and I have my UQ under the hammock. Can I use the UQ with the bottom entry? Yes, but I wanted a level of versatility and a level of set it and forget it with the UQ.

I could not be happier with the decision. This past weekend I did an impromtu hang with some youth I work with. I didn't get in the hammock until 3 a.m. (youth remember). Used the bottom entry (it's MS in August - hot and buggy). It had rained so the temp was cooler than I had anticipated. Once I was in the hammock and decided I needed a little top cover; I was able to unzip, reach out to my pack hanging on the suspension, pull out a twin sheet, and zip back up. No bugs, no giving birth at the bottom entry, no reset of my already comforatable lay angle. Just pure convenience, comfort and longed for sleep.

I also love being able to pull the bug net back completely. I personally like the way I can use the hammock as chair difference in this mode as opposed to having the net attached. This would be a very personal preference and YMMV.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Jack! Good luck on your decision. Kinda can't miss.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Thanks Daddy, that is the kind of input I am looking for to help me decide.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I like the looks of a mod 1 because I get frustrated at not getting to the top of the hammock to stash stuff. It would also provide for Breakfast from the hammock.

Mod 2 and 3 are so folks can stop using the bottom entry. I guess it had a point before the zipper versions came out. I like the bottom entry so see no reason to want them.

Mod 4 I just do not get. For way less cost I can make a winter DL with no bug net and not pay the zipper weight penalty.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Which HH Zipper Mod and Why

I got Mod 4 because it offers the most versatility. Also use triple zipper for the power cord to my CP and hang the battery on the suspension. Love the set up and the work is Top Quality.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I have one with a mod 3 and one with a mod 4.. I prefer the 4 because I like the ability to be able to stuff the net up into its own pocket out of the way for some day lounging and be able to pull it back out if needed.. On multi day trips its not uncommon to have a nice site and the next day your being attacked my bugs...
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I like the looks of a mod 1 because I get frustrated at not getting to the top of the hammock to stash stuff. It would also provide for Breakfast from the hammock.

Mod 2 and 3 are so folks can stop using the bottom entry. I guess it had a point before the zipper versions came out. I like the bottom entry so see no reason to want them.

Mod 4 I just do not get. For way less cost I can make a winter DL with no bug net and not pay the zipper weight penalty.
    Thank you for your input.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMart View Post
    I got Mod 4 because it offers the most versatility. Also use triple zipper for the power cord to my CP and hang the battery on the suspension. Love the set up and the work is Top Quality.
    Thanks. I am sort of learning toward Mod 4 but will try to do more research.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    I have one with a mod 3 and one with a mod 4.. I prefer the 4 because I like the ability to be able to stuff the net up into its own pocket out of the way for some day lounging and be able to pull it back out if needed.. On multi day trips its not uncommon to have a nice site and the next day your being attacked my bugs...
    Thanks! 3 and 4 are the two I am looking at the hardest. Great to have your input since you have 1 of each.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I have an Explorer UL with a Mod#3. I couldn't make myself spend the extra cash for the mod #4 although it would be nice to be able to reach out both sides to adjust my UQ or just reach out and grab items. I left the bottom entry as a "just in case". I still use the zipper in buggy weather (almost always here in FL) but I wanted the velcro intact in case of a zipper jam/failure. So far I haven't used it since the zipper mod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast