Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Been staring at Clarks for a #of years. Finally bought one after someone posted about the sale.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblique Angler View Post
    I asked on the phone with Clark if their hammocks ever go on sale and was told "No, not really" when I bought my NX-250 back in late spring and I felt the same pangs. At least a few more folks are going to be able to afford an awesome shelter system. That Clark Jungle Hammocks might not be getting the respect that IMHO they deserve in the "community" brothers me more.
    I hate to say it, as I'm sure they make top quality gear, but for the price of one of their hammocks a person could get nearly an entire setup from or cottage manufacturers.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    The Clark is an entire setup. It's the hammock with netting and the tarp with suspension. Granted I would change the suspension.
    "No whining in the woods"

Quote Originally Posted by mitchamaphone View Post
    OK, took out the NX-250 for a test run, great hammock but for the poles. I can understand the complaints better now. They work, but are finicky to work with, came apart when I was threading them through. Let's see what Clark comes up with as an upgrade...
    The poles are what they are, and it is improbable that they can be all put together and installed without coming apart, but if put in one piece at a time they are very easy to work with. I got to view a short video of someone doing just that before I tried so never tried to put them together first. I have the original poles and have used them over 400 hangs and had no problems with them at all. I am curious as to what the "up grade" is all about.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    The Clark is an entire setup. It's the hammock with netting and the tarp with suspension. Granted I would change the suspension.
    By entire setup, I'm including TQ & UQ, typically the most expensive items in the setup.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I think it depends on the type of hammock setup your talking about. If you compare it to a WBBB and a nice cottage tarp, you aren't seeing much difference. You have to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I could get a good hammock and netted sock with a tarp and UQ&TQ in synthetic and be close to the same price as a Clark too, but that is like comparing apples to oranges. Depend on what you are looking for, and Clarks aren't for everyone. I have the Vertex and the hubby and I love it. I got it used, so the price was less. Don't think I could afford a new one. I used to have an Clark NA and a NX-250. I miss the NX-250 and was working very hard to restrain myself during the sale. I managed to refrain from buying, but the temptation was definitely there.
    I like the Clark hammocks and think they are worth the price (on sale). I have a hard time paying full price for them. However; I also like my other hammocks, Thunderbird, WBRR, BIAS and a few other, so to each his own.
    "No whining in the woods"

The price is what it is and a product is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. The Clark Hammocks will cost you but they are a quality product. It is up to the purchaser to decide for themselves If it is worth the money. For me it was worth every cent.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    The price is what it is and a product is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. The Clark Hammocks will cost you but they are a quality product. It is up to the purchaser to decide for themselves If it is worth the money. For me it was worth every cent.
    Well spoken sir, my sentiments exactly.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I hate to say it, as I'm sure they make top quality gear, but for the price of one of their hammocks a person could get nearly an entire setup from or cottage manufacturers.
    I've done the arithmetic for a Clark hammock with tarp and weather-shield and posted it here before.

IMO, prejudice about "community membership" is part of the misjudgment. Gary Clark chooses not to participate in HF. His product announcements have also ruffled feathers.

Without getting into assertions more often found in spam folders, (re size,) the Clark price is comparable to the new Warbonnet gathered end hammock, the XLC. Warbonnetguy took the opportunity to price that new model with what I think is likely a more realistic profit margin. (Alternatively, see the WBBB as under-priced for a US made hammock.)

Here's the arithmetic, roughly: $425 - $120 for the tarp = $305; - $80 for the weathershield = $205. - $30 for saddlebags / pockets and hoods = $170.

Compare that to the price of WBBB.

Surprising, isn't it?

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    Agree completely with you and old4hats! Wouldn't trade mine for anything and if I had to do it over again, I would get the same thing again if I had to pick aluminum cans out of the dumpsters to save enough money to buy it.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast