One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

Help with DIY down UQ

I think I'm almost ready to start buying the fabrics for some quilts for my wife and I. My thought is to make them full length at height + 5" and 48" wide. I have 800 fill down and plan on 2" baffles with 10% over stuff, which should give 20* quilts comfortably. There are still a couple things I'm pondering though.

1) How do I rig the suspension to actually get the UQ to stay in the correct place? Right now I have problems with my PLUQ sliding to the center, thus making my outside shoulder cold.

2) Other than the weight difference of the baffle material, is there an advantage of more or less baffles?

3) Is there a better draft prevention strategy than the collars discussed here?

4) Is there any thing else I seem to be leaving out? I'd really like to do these right the first time and use them on the hang we're planning in October.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I have shock cord in channels on the ends of the quilt, and then I use big buttons and paracord on the ends of the hammock. Lark's head shock cord over buttons to hold it in place. Once you get it dialed in for you, no fiddle factor after that.

My quilts don't have collars. A 48" quilt under you, and and 48" quilt over you and you are snug as a bug in a rug, and no amount of coaxing can get you out of that hammock in bad weather! (except... bladder control)

I am not aware that anyone has done a study / comparison on more versus fewer baffles. I do know that a karo style quilt is way more work than it is worth (versus straight baffles).

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Help with DIY down UQ

#3. You can make the quilt a differential cut lengthwise as well as width. I made my outer layer 3" longer than my finished desired length. Make your baffle pieces the same length as your outer layer. Sew to the outer layer first. Then, when you sew to the inner layer, sew the baffles on about two inches down, then sew a gather of the baffle of 1.5". Continue sewing the baffle to the top layer until you get within 2" of the end, then do another 1.5" baffle material gather. Finish sewing the last 2" of baffle to the top layer. Do this for each baffle.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    ...1) How do I rig the suspension to actually get the UQ to stay in the correct place? Right now I have problems with my PLUQ sliding to the center, thus making my outside shoulder cold..
    One of several methods is to have loops on the corners of the UQ and run the suspension shock cord through them.

IMG_1366 (Medium)wNotes.jpg

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Junebugdawn, I'm not quite following what you said. You wouldn't happen to have a picture or drawing would you?

gmcttr, are the locks attached to the corner loops and how are the loops attached/reinforced?

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Help with DIY down UQ

I'll see if I took any pics of that part of the sewing process. It might be a few days before I get a chance to look as we are taking our girls camping tomorrow and I'm not at my computer tonight. If not, I could come up with a drawing for you. I am a very visual person myself. When I began researching how to make a UQ, I had the hardest time wrapping my head around how to sew the baffles. Finally, someone posted a drawing and it finally clicked.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I'll see if I took any pics of that part of the sewing process. It might be a few days before I get a chance to look as we are taking our girls camping tomorrow and I'm not at my computer tonight. If not, I could come up with a drawing for you. I am a very visual person myself. When I began researching how to make a UQ, I had the hardest time wrapping my head around how to sew the baffles. Finally, someone posted a drawing and it finally clicked.
    Have fun out there. It'll probably be a couple weeks before I get started sowing anyway.

• + New Posts