Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick noob question

If I were to buy these two items (or any other tarp and hammock as single items), what else would I need to hang my hammock?

http://www.campsaver.com/dry-fly-rain-tarp
    http://www.campsaver.com/single-nest-hammock

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    First, welcome. I would look into an under quilt or pad. Helps a lot during cooler weather. I use my quilt year around. Keep the questions coming they help us all. I am sure others who know more then me will give more imput.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the ENO's come with straps. You'd want to pick up a pair of the ENO Atlas straps. Otherwise, you could swap out the ropes on the ENO for whoopie slings, and get a pair of regular tree straps (from dutchwaregear.com or whoopieslings.com). The whoopies would make it more easily adjustable, whereas the Atlas Straps have incremental loops you attach to.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    Lets see.....real quickly as I head out the door to work. For a hammock you will need:
    -a suspension, for beginners or anyone treestraps with decender rings work great and are easy to use
    -some type of cordage for tying stuff (preferably zing-it at redden marine) you cam make a structural ridgeline but you don't have to.
    -all kinds of dutch bling lol (this is just to create some curiosity and get you digging around the forum a little bit)
    -a sleeping pad or underquilt, the quilt is definitely more comfy and expensive
    -sleeping bag or top quilt
    Tarp
    -stakes
    -lots of cordage zing it or a cheaper option is braided masons line

This is a fun road you are heading down

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Did someone mention bug net?
    Expect the Best,
    Prepare for the Worst
    Attributed to some poor guy who ran into Murphy,
    Too many times

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I don't know if you are stuck on the "Dry Fly" but I would strongly consider getting Eno's "Pro Fly" as it provides better coverage and is easier to hang in my opionion. I have both and rarely use the "Dry Fly". Can't hang without tree straps. I think the Atlas straps are a good value. Stay away from the Slap Straps, they stretch. There are many ways you can insulate you backside. Pads (very uncomfortable in my opinion unless your hammock is designed for it) UnderQuilts (there are many many options out there depending on how far you want to push the temp). I started out with a very nice quality wool blanket last year and a sleeping bag for my topside. I made it to the upper 20's no problem. And yes sir, the bug net. As you add up the Straps, Tarp (Fly), hammock, and bugnet, you may want to consider an intergrated system. I am not sure of your options in Australia. I have both and love my Eno, but it rarely gets used for more than an afternoon siesta. (it is the most comfortable) No matter, once you have been bitten by the hammock bug, you will surely own multible styles to play in. Cheers!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    The dryfly will work, but I bought one and sold it almost immediately (and then made my own tarp). To many stake outs for not much coverage. The cat-cuts on it are too deep. The profly is better, but still only 6ft width. It's also heavy urethane coated poly. For a little bit more you can get a Warbonnet Edge or Wilderness Logic's Tadpole. They're shaped similar to a ProFly but wider (8ft) and silnylon so much less weight and bulk. You might also consider DIY. It's fairly easy and can be fun, and addicting. I have made pretty much all my gear from the start.

For hanging a hammock you typically need a suspension also. Some come with one ready to use, others, like the ENO just come with a small section of rope and a carabiner or hook. You'll still need something to hook onto. There's lots of information in the suspension section. Most popular are probably whoopie slings with tree straps.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Shug will help. Check out his youtube videos, great stuff. And he will help you make some good decisions. Sorry the youtube video isn't showing up, so here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZV...752777861C2AA8

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    +1 on Shug's videos. I watched all of his Hammock Hangin' How-To videos before I even thought about getting or making anything but suspension. He makes you think about how you are going to use your gear and then you can decide what is right for you. He is also wildly entertaining
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Your gonna need a portable alarm clock. Cause you won't be easily waking up, and you don't want to miss lunch. Never to the ground again!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast