Thread: SUL peapod idea

Images

SUL peapod idea

I would like to make or have made an underquilt for "hinge season" rated to about 45-50 F. I envision a peapod that could be equipped with a zipper to make it a quilt as well...

Here's my question--How light can I go?? I originally wanted to go with just a sheet of silnylon with DWR and hope that it provided a pocket of warm air between the hammock and the outside air. I am sort-of doubtful about this solution, but maybe someone has some experience here...

If that was not enough, I am probably going to go with climashield for insulation, and try to make it as light as possible. Is this the proper insulation??

The whole point of this is to try to eliminate the CCF pad...I don't like the weight or compressiblitly for warmth that these pads offer...if I could make a peapod that was uberlite...say 10-13 oz...I would be able to have the hammock feeling into the low 50's I would think...and sans pad....

All of your input is greatly welcomed and I am thankful you all are here...Good day!

Images
    Welcome to the forum.

What is the coldest temp you think you can sleep with no insulation underneath? If you are only trying to gain 10-20 degrees look into a travel pod/hammock sock. In mine I measured a 20+ degree difference in temp right above my face. I measured a higher temp at my foot end too. I have a couple pics in my gallery and started a thread on it. Jeff also has some info on his website.

If that is not your thing, I would look into a down underquilt. In terms of weight I think you can get one pretty cold to 15oz. If weight is your biggest concern, I would not go the pea pod route. I think it has extra material on the ends and on the sides that are helpful, but you can do without.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    If you are trying to make it as light as possible you don't want to use synthetic. Speer Hammocks sells 900+ fill power down. That would be what you would want.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Stealth Quilt and JRB SS...sub 16 oz....45* easy....bonus , wearable camp insulation.... leave behind the insulated top, saving another 10-24 oz depending on your model... but then Im biased.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think you could make a simple DWR pod for ~8 oz from 1.1 oz DWR if you made it small enough to work w/o a ridgeline inside.

http://www.imrisk.com and look for his TravelPod
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTravelPod.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html

Adding insulation to it means you also need another layer of DWR...making a functional Pod for 10-13 oz will be very tough. Remember, the insulation has to be right against the hammock w/o compressing it...meaning even more weight. I'm not saying it's impossible...just a challenge. I'll be very interested in seeing how you do it. Post pics!

Depending on the temps you're hiking in, you could probably bring an 8-10 oz TravelPod, then just a small CCF torso pad. Most nights through the shoulder seasons you could get by with just the Pod...on an unexpected chilly night you could make do with the pad and the Pod. And the pad could also be a sit pad, frame for backpack, windscreen for cooking, etc...so it's not just wasted weight if you multi-task it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Thanks, Jeff...When I opened the link to your travel pod, it was like I was viewing my vision in real life!! This will give you about 10-20 degrees, you say...for about 8-10 oz...well, that is exactly what I am looking for!

I am going to look in to constructing something similar...can you think of a more gossimer fabric that would work on this project?? Thanks again for the input...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not really - you need a breathable fabric that will still block the wind. I'm not aware of something substantially lighter than 1.1 oz DWR. Thru-hiker.com has .9 oz Momentum 90...if you have the $$$ to drop that's what I'd go with, I guess.

You won't want to make it from Cuben b/c you need breathability. You could probably use Cuben as end caps and the bottom panel, then use Momentum 90 for the top. That could save some weight. Getting pretty expensive though. Cuben is about $20/yd. Momentum is about $12.

DWR is $4-6/yd. If you find it at Walmart it's $1/yd.

Find something cheap to prototype it, though - I bet you'll make two or three before you're happy with it. And don't forget that it'll fit each hammock differently based on that hammock's dimensions and how much sag you put in it. Then when you get a good match for your homemade hammock and Pod, make it from the real stuff.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts