Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Images
    Welcome to the group.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to HF, Tristan.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Stock Tarp
    Insulation
    WM Waffle Pad
    We ended up packing everything up at about 11 with just a mag light and hiking back out haha.

My friend's refusal to take a pad and the fact that it got way colder than the weather forecast both contributed to this.

The trail was really nice though, we hiked on the mid state trail (which runs through the middle of PA north/south), in about the middle of the trail at R. B. Winter State Park which is in Bald Eagle Forest. We only hiked about 2.5 to 3 miles in and found a great spot right near a spring, for some reason the spring was named "crocodile spring" which is weird considering it was about 6 inches across, 2 inches deep and in central pa, but it was still a great spot.

We finished up our firewood at about 10 and decided to head to sleep a little early because it was starting to get a lot colder out. The weather said it was supposed to be 30 at the lowest but at 10 it was already around 20. I was sleeping in 0 degree synthetic north face sleeping bag with a blue ccf wal mart pad underneath me. I was pretty warm, I could have maybe used a slightly thicker pad but i was still fine. My friend has no pad and after about an hour started complaining (if you've ever read "A Walk In The Woods" by bill bryson, my friend is almost exactly like the Katz guy in that book). I knew he'd be frozen solid by morning so we packed everything up and hiked out with just a mag light.

It was still fun and next time we'll be better prepared. Things I learned...

-Possibly a thicker pad and by next winter, I'll probably look into an underquilt
    -Bring extra batteries (flashlight was flickering on and off as were leaving the trail
    -Get a headlamp, I'm going to pick one of these up this week

We'll be giving it another shot in another 2 weeks or so and I'll definitely try to make it to the Hammock Hang Out, sounds like fun.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tristan... I am not very far at all from the Mid State Trail and/or RB Winter. If I can be of any assistence in helping you tweak your sdet up give me PM and we'll work something out.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Stock Tarp
    Insulation
    WM Waffle Pad
    Ah, I see you're in Milton, I live about 5 minutes away from Selinsgrove/Shamokin Dam, I'll see how my next attempt goes and if I run into any problems I'll definitely shoot you a PM. Thanks.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I've got a hammock stand in the back yard. Makes it nice ti tinker and experiment. You can make use of it if you want.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a while and figured this was a good time to start posting.

I'm going on my first overnight(not counting car camping) tonight in about 5 years and also my first overnight hanging. I do a ton of day hiking and kayaking so I'm really excited to finally get out overnight. I'll be using an HH Expedition that I got a couple months ago. Set it up and took a nap in it a few times but haven't given it a full overnight test yet. Hopefully everything goes well, I'll report back with results.

Welcome to Hammock Forums. FYI...there are five hammockers that live in Elmira NY who are also kayakers. (mostly whitewater) We travel, kayak and camp extensively throughout PA. What type of kayaking do you do?

Miguel

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Stock Tarp
    Insulation
    WM Waffle Pad
    I really just switched to kayaking this spring, but I've been doing canoe trips since I was a little kid. So far I've just done day trips along the creeks around here, like 5 - 10 miles or so, no white water or anything. I want to try to get some multi day kayaking/camping trips in the summer at some point though.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I really just switched to kayaking this spring, but I've been doing canoe trips since I was a little kid. So far I've just done day trips along the creeks around here, like 5 - 10 miles or so, no white water or anything. I want to try to get some multi day kayaking/camping trips in the summer at some point though.

Nice We've been talking about doing more flatwater multi day camping trips this summer. I'd probably be using our canoe for that since I can throw more crap in there. I have entertained the idea of buying a touring kayak. (so much faster) Hammocks are fantastic for that sort of thing since you can hang just about anywhere. You should try to attend the Group Hang in MD if for no other reason than to meet other hammockers in your area. If you're at all interested in whitewater we have a group called the Bradford County Canoe and Kayak Club. You can Google it. We're very active and welcome newbies.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Ah, I see you're in Milton, I live about 5 minutes away from Selinsgrove/Shamokin Dam, I'll see how my next attempt goes and if I run into any problems I'll definitely shoot you a PM. Thanks.
    If you have an interest in attending the MAHHA hang in Gathland State Park in April, let me know. A couple of us from Lancaster County who are attending could meet you and carpool. Shoot me a PM if that interests you. The MAHHA hang is a great place to move up the learning curve quickly and meet alot of fine people at the same time.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast