Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images

Hardware Issue

Looking at LostInSpace's testing with the buckle has me thinking about hardware. I'm betting the buckle was cut with something like a water jet as opposed to stamped. That seems to be current technology.

When metal is stamped the exit edge gets a knife burr something like a wood scraper that has to be removed. That is well known and usually dealt with. If they are not removed it's easy to get a nasty paper cut like wound. (OTOH I have purposely left it on straight edges used to guide knife blades as it digs in a bit.)

With water jet parts there is no exit burr like a stamping die makes. OTOH from what I have seen there is a pretty nice square corner. I think that is what was getting the cord in the video.

My thought is that I will break (round off) the corners where cordage passes through my hardware with some fine abrasive and maybe polish it. In essence dull the knife. Right now I am thinking about using 400 grit wet or dry paper with tape backing. I thought I would post here to see better suggestions and maybe that I am wrong in my thinking. I skip Holiday Inns and am not a major metal worker... ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Any piece of hardware I'm connecting rope to and hanging from gets inspected and the edges rounded if I'm not comfortable with the way they came. Doesn't matter where I got it, it gets looked over carefully.

I clamp the hardware in a vise and use a narrow strip of emery cloth in a shoe shine motion to quickly smooth out/round off edges when needed.

• + New Posts