Hammock
    yukon outfitters single with bugnet
    Tarp
    Aquaquest 10x13
    Insulation
    fleece bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR

Modifying a bunk bed to hold a hammock underneath?

Hi, everyone. I am currently struggling to find materials for free to make a turtledog stand for my hammock so I am trying to look for alternative stands so I can have more options of what to pick up from craigslist free offerring and freecycle.

So I came across a couple postings giving away bunk bed. I like the idea of using them so I could use the top bunk as storage for me and my wife. However, the size of most of them seem too small for the average adult hammock?

So I am wondering whether it is possible to modify the headboard side so the hammock could be strung up further away? Like lashing an aluminum post along the support in the back and have it stick out behind where the headboard would be and then remove enough materials from between the bunk bed posts to allow space for the hammock.

Does this sound feasible to do without power tool? (I'm living at a dorm apartment so I have no access to a work space for that purpose)

thank you for any and all inputs!

(Finances is real tight so We can't really spend any money on this as long as I have a working alternative available that does not cost us anything to keep (the bed I am currently using) so that's why I'm using freecycle and craigslist free offering section)

Images
    Interesting, my son wanted to do this also. We abandoned it as we could not get enough length from his bunk to make it work. We took a different track and mounted hardware in the top wall plates.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Most beds are 6-7 ft so many of our hammocks alone are longer than that minus the suspension. so not likely.. You could make the bunk the end of a stand and extend out the side if you have enough room, but with a dorm room that could be tight and hinder movement unless you make it so its easy to collapse.. Probably easier to anchor into the rafters or walls somehow if they will let you.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    We've had a couple of people on here do that, but it has been for their kids. They string from one corner to the opposite corner on the bottom. I don't see this working to well for one adult hammock, and a big time no for 2 adult hammocks..if you were thinking of one for you and one for your wife. (you don't want to sleep both of you in one hammock).

I built a loft bed with a full size mattress for my 8 yr old daughter. Then, she asked for a hammock in her room so I hung an equip travel hammock from the right foot corner to the left head corner. The hammock was just a touch long so I tied an overhand knot in each end of the hammock and it has worked like a charm.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Sys
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Interesting, my son wanted to do this also. We abandoned it as we could not get enough length from his bunk to make it work. We took a different track and mounted hardware in the top wall plates.
    +1 to top plate mounting it has worked so far and if I do fall I will land on the bed, although my dad thinks I will fall any minute.

I have also looked into the loft bed idea gps4 mentioned and if you could get it long enough it could possibly work and give extra storage space as a bonus.
    Good luck!
    Dev

I've got a pic with a homemade sheet hammock, but can't post it because its not hosted anywhere. I could email though

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    If you are against using a bridge hammock then disregard.

You could possibly hang a bridge hammock from a bunk bed. Not really what you are asking, but they are generally short minus the suspension triangles.

Like this thread from way back:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=61129&page=3

Hammock
    yukon outfitters single with bugnet
    Tarp
    Aquaquest 10x13
    Insulation
    fleece bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR

This is the two concept of adding support so I could lengthen how long this bunk bed could hold. It will be attached diagonally. The bottom bunk will be removed except for the support beams. and the top bunk will be used for storage. I can use the metal spring support with biners to hang bags and gear hammock underneath.

This is what I have in mind so far. Now the only thing I have to do is to keep an eye out for a free bunk bed listing on craigslist and freecycle.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    If you have the space, then perhaps you could hang a spreader pole from the top bunk, much like some people hang one from the ceiling. The pole would take all of the compression load, and the bed winds up only carrying your weight. Chain link fence top rails work well, and you may find someone giving them away. You can just slide two of them together (and possibly cut one down) if just one isn't long enough.

Alternately, you could replace the side rails of the bunk bed with longer ones, and make the whole bed longer. You'd have even more shelf space this way, but it could wind up costing you some money if you had to buy plywood for the shelf. Or you could keep the upper bed in tact and just add a small piece of plywood for the shelf, and you'd have an extra bed for when you two wanted to sleep a little closer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast