Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaggleroot View Post
    I’ve had that comment before and next time, I’ll either pick a longer song or fewer slides.
    Please don't sacrifice the scenery for the music.
    I'd rather have video still running after the music stops than less video.
    My 2 cents.

Swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Cool trip report snaggleroot and welcome to HF. Great camp shoes what kind are they? I think you said they are 4 Oz? Hope your trip to the great Northwest was even better. Kind of hard to beat those wings and pizza. You did convince me to get a Cuban tarp. The gentleman out day hiking was amazing, I hope I am still going that strong in 20 some .

Images
    Well, I think this is going to be my high miler next year, hoping to do a yo-yo with my son. I will probably be sending you a PM with further questions about trailhead and resupply info. Did you use the guidebook and or map?

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    Cool trip report snaggleroot and welcome to HF. Great camp shoes what kind are they? I think you said they are 4 Oz? Hope your trip to the great Northwest was even better. Kind of hard to beat those wings and pizza. You did convince me to get a Cuban tarp. The gentleman out day hiking was amazing, I hope I am still going that strong in 20 some .
    Grits! How are ya? The red holey shoes in the picture are Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure shoes: http://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-M...=pd_sbs_shoe_1
    A pair weighs around 8 oz. and I’ve used them mostly as camp shoes. They’re sold as running shoes, but I plan to test them on stream-crossings when hiking in Arkansas this fall. I’m a little apprehensive about sand/pebbles coming right through the holes, but we’ll see.

Mt Rainier and Olympic NP with the Boy Scouts was awesome. I had to buy 8’ tree straps and it wasn’t always easy to find trees small enough for them.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Well, I think this is going to be my high miler next year, hoping to do a yo-yo with my son. I will probably be sending you a PM with further questions about trailhead and resupply info. Did you use the guidebook and or map?
    Sure – PM me.

For planning, I used the map and Foothills Trail Guidebook available from the Foothills Trail Club, and Johnny Molloy’s book, “Long Trails of the Southeast”. I also benefited from a series of e-mails with an FTC member who I met while section hiking on the AT.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    B U T Full! Excellent vid, nice editing.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Beautiful video, beautiful area. I agree that the FHT is moderately strenuous; I'm headed back there (hopefully) in October to do a thru myself.

Glad you had a great time out there. Thanks for sharing!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images

The most difficult stretch of trail for me was the section immediately east of Sassafras Mtn. on the blue-blazed spur trail, both directions. And there’s a fairly high percentage of road walking. But that spur has a great view to the north at Dolves Mountain and to the south at the Caesar’s Head SP parking lot. There are some good falls in the state park, as well as a very pretty hike down the river to the Jones Gap SP trailhead (the start of the Foothills Trail in Johnny Malloy’s trail book).
    Thanks for the info on the Caesar's Head spur! Last year, I hiked a bit of the spur from Sassafras Mtn, so got a taste of that steep section, but didn't have time to make it all the way to Caesar's Head. You've inspired me to give it another try, especially if there is a view at Dolves Mtn.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Grits! How are ya? The red holey shoes in the picture are Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure shoes: http://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-M...=pd_sbs_shoe_1
    A pair weighs around 8 oz. and I’ve used them mostly as camp shoes. They’re sold as running shoes, but I plan to test them on stream-crossings when hiking in Arkansas this fall. I’m a little apprehensive about sand/pebbles coming right through the holes, but we’ll see.

Mt Rainier and Olympic NP with the Boy Scouts was awesome. I had to buy 8’ tree straps and it wasn’t always easy to find trees small enough for them.
    Thanks Snaggleroot for the link I am going to get a pair. It sounds like your trip with the Scouts was a blast and I hope you post a video of that trip as well.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Grits - I made a video of that, too. I won’t post it publicly because of privacy issues and the 11 minors involved (not that that keeps them from posting way too much info about themselves on Facebook). I’ll send you a link to its location in Dropbox in a PM.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12