Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Foothills Trail Yo-Yo Hike

I had not posted anything about my April hike on the Foothills Trail, so I’m catching up now. If you want to skip the narrative, there’s a short video/slideshow linked at the end.

About the trail: The Foothills Trail is a 77 mile hiker-only path along the Blue Ridge Escarpment in northwestern South Carolina, with parts of the trail in North Carolina and just across the river from Georgia. There are several spur trails that provide opportunities for a longer hike. The trail and its spurs connect five state parks, and include a beautiful stretch along the Chattooga River (think “Deliverance”). Water is abundant and the many waterfalls are a highlight of the trail. Many have said the Foothills Trail offers one of the best “bang-for-the-buck” hikes anywhere in the East and I’d have to agree. The Foothills trail is well maintained and only short stretches follow forest roads. Although no permits are needed, there are a few restrictions on where you can camp. Access was easy by car, and trailhead parking seemed secure. The best source of information on the trail is here: http://www.foothillstrail.org/.

The hike: I solo-hiked the trail, completing the main trail, all of the spur trails, and then some, twice (in yo-yo fashion) over a 13-day stretch in mid-April. After a long drive from Houston, I used two trailheads (Caesar’s Head and Bad Creek Access) to segment the hike, allow re-supply, and schedule drives into town. Although many folks hesitate to repeat trail they just hiked, it worked for me as there are not many re-supply options (although caching would be one). My largest food carry was six days, but I completed that segment in five.

Early April proved to be a perfect time to hike the Foothills Trail. It was mostly leaf-off on the ridges and lush and green in the valleys. Temperatures were perfect, with daytime in the low 70’s and nights in the low 50’s. Outside of one very strong storm (which I side-stepped in town) the weather was clear and dry. Water was abundant and waterfalls were full, especially after the storm. Because the water was so high, I had to jump across a narrow section of rapids on the appropriately named Whitewater River at the end of a footbridge that wasn’t quite long enough. I slipped and almost went in, losing a hiking pole in the process. It was the only hairy moment on the whole trip.

Finding places to hang was not a problem at all, although at one desirable spot my 5’ tree straps were barely long enough. Because I was repeating trail, there were a couple opportunities to slackpack to a trailhead and back, so I did. Black bears are supposedly abundant in the area, but I didn’t see any – I still hung my food every night.

Gear: Hammock bliss double-wide; HG cuben tarp with doors; Revelation X TQ and JRB UQ; Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid boots (switched to Cascadia trail runners ½ way through); REI Flash 65 backpack; Sawyer squeeze; canister stove with GSI Pinnacle cookset; Kindle Paperwhite; food was mostly home-made, except dinners which were Packit Gourmet or Hawk Vittles. Also, +1 on ExOfficio briefs (no monkey-butt – ‘nuff said), and Darn Tough socks (no blisters in 216 miles).

Highlights: The waterfalls; hanging on Drawbar Cliffs and along the Chattooga River; meeting folks on the trail, including HF members Grits and Mothership (both from Boone, NC area – Mothership has thru-hiked the AT), Ray and Rick (from a Cincinnati meetup), trail angel Bobby McGee, who had a cold beer for me at the Burrell’s Ford trailhead (guess what song went through my head for two days), and an 82-year old gentleman hiking in to see the Oconee Bells in full bloom; Big Mike’s in Brevard (craft beer, great pizza and wings); not dying in the Whitewater River.

The video: “Picked myself up off the ground” is the first lyric of the SCI soundtrack, which seemed appropriate for a hammock hanger, and to some extent I tried to follow the lyrics in the slideshow (it’s not chronological). I captioned most of the locations and the vegetation that I thought I could identify. Sorry if the captions are tough to see (it was my first attempt at doing this). Grits has also posted this video on his HF trip report. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7N_7KtWAsE

Images
    Hey snagle,

Great video, I have been eyeing this trail for a couple months. You did a yo-yo plus spurs, 216 miles in 13 days? Was it a challenging trail?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Excellent report & vid. Thanks for sharing!
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    OK Snaggleroot ... the stage has been set. Once you submit a good video, more are expected. Thanks for taking us along. I have been through many of those areas on day trips, but I haven't strung them all together.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Great video and wonderful that you did a yo-yo hike! Enjoyed seeing your flower photos, and how lucky that you saw the oconee bells.

How was the spur to Caesar's Head?

Hammock
    diy,SB,WB
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    HG , Diy
    Suspension
    Whoopassees
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Hey snagle,

Great video, I have been eyeing this trail for a couple months. You did a yo-yo plus spurs, 216 miles in 13 days? Was it a challenging trail?
    Yes it is!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    My favorite trail for a reason. Great video and a fantastic brief report.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What a great video!
    I have never seen that kind of water coming over any of those waterfalls. The Upper and Lower Whitewater and Kings Creek were just incredible.
    The only thing I would change is the speed.
    I found myself pausing it a lot to enjoy a scene just a little longer than you intended.
    I'll do the section from Bad Creek to Laurel Valley Access in 3 weeks.
    I can't wait.

Swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Nice! I've hiked parts of those trails and live about 40 minutes away. I think I was out the night of the storm you mentioned, it was pretty crazy with the high winds and sleet (where I was). But it cleared of nicely that night. Nice mileage too; I don't know if I could do that any more! Thanks for the inspiration.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Hey snagle,

You did a yo-yo plus spurs, 216 miles in 13 days? Was it a challenging trail?
    Thanks, Swank and other commenters, and yes it was a challenge to the extent that I wanted it to be. Although I did a lot of planning, I didn’t have a set itinerary and if I ran out of time or energy I could have cut it shorter. There are a lot of steps built into the trail, and a pretty fair amount of up-and-down, but nothing extreme. I was apprehensive of the climb up (and back down) “Heartbreak Ridge”, but it was not as bad as I feared. I dry camped up on a ridge one night and carried way too much water up with me. That was a mistake. You can really lighten your load by not having to carry much water. Most thru hikers go west to east so that you don’t have to start with a big climb out of Table Rock State Park.

Quote Originally Posted by joanwest View Post
    How was the spur to Caesar's Head?
    The most difficult stretch of trail for me was the section immediately east of Sassafras Mtn. on the blue-blazed spur trail, both directions. And there’s a fairly high percentage of road walking. But that spur has a great view to the north at Dolves Mountain and to the south at the Caesar’s Head SP parking lot. There are some good falls in the state park, as well as a very pretty hike down the river to the Jones Gap SP trailhead (the start of the Foothills Trail in Johnny Malloy’s trail book).

Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    The only thing I would change is the speed.
    I found myself pausing it a lot to enjoy a scene just a little longer than you intended.
    I'll do the section from Bad Creek to Laurel Valley Access in 3 weeks.
    I can't wait.
    Swampfox
    I’ve had that comment before and next time, I’ll either pick a longer song or fewer slides. Enjoy your upcoming trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast