WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)

Strawn Tx. August Overnight

A few of us hammockforums members decided to brave the heat and do an overnight in the middle of August. We decided on the area that's been purchased for the new state park in Strawn, Tx. The other thing Strawn is famous for is Mary's Café. They have one of the best (biggest) chicken fried steaks I've had. That being said, we opted to meet there on Saturday afternoon and have lunch before we hit the trail. Mary's lived up to it's reputation. I ordered the medium and it was two pieces a meat covering pretty much the whole plate. They had to put my fries on another plate (and it was it's own little island of fries...I couldn't finish it). After lunch we headed to the park that we agreed to meet. TheFarmerCamper had advised he was going to be a little late, so I posted some vague directions on the forum.

The group at this point was made up of Jibbers, GoSpidey and his wife Hilda, rhjanes, and myself. There was a description about a trail that Gimpy had found online, but no map and not very detailed instructions. We found the start of the trail easy enough, but the trail markers were pretty well hidden, or non existent. We were able to pick up parts of a trail (long forgotten) from time to time, but we spent some time just wondering around. I was surprised when another hiker came out of the brush and said, "are you the hammock guys?" TheFarmerCamper had followed our voices and found us in there somehow.

After coming to a group decision that the trail had disappeared, we found a few trees in the area we were at and started setting up camp. I opted for a bit of napping. After a bit, I joined the group at main camp and enjoyed a light snack (mostly out of habit...I was still pretty satisfied from the lunch I had eaten). It was apparent that we weren't far from the park where we were supposed to meet. There was camper and some tents there, and they kept the generator running all night. It turned into white noise after a bit though, and wasn't really too noticeable. From time to time the campers at the park would let the area enjoy some musical selections. After some laughs and discussion on ways to stay warm when your cold out, I headed for the hammock. The evening low was about 66 and I slept like a baby. There was a train or two that came by, but it didn't take me but a couple of seconds to ignore that and fall right back to sleep. In the morning we packed up and headed out pretty early. It was a fun trip.

Here's a few pics so you know it happened

Here's my set up. My DIY with the WL summer series UQ.

TheFarmerCamper was rocking the SimplyLight hammock and bugnet with a GoLite Poncho doubling as a tarp.

Ray was in his blackbird.

Jibbers using his DIY to keep his new Monarch Chair clean.

GoSpidey was happily above ground with his blackbird while Hilda preferred to keep herself a little closer to the center of the planet.

Here's a pic of camp. It was a pretty nice little spot. Had shade most of the evening and a pretty good breeze that came through from time to time.

Had a good time.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    Looks like a good time was had by all. You couldn't have asked for better weather for the weekend!
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who crave closure

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Never had a trail disappear on me. Had some suddenly appear out of nowhere that weren't 'sposed to be there though.

Do we have a new Navigator?

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    That trail hasn't seen more than a few people......in years. The trail markers are sawn pieces of wood....which when attached to a tree....well they vanish.
    Notice jibbers field testing the new ultra light cement blocks! There were old rotten benches around, I set up over top of some (try that, tent campers). I was using them for my tie-downs, until Jibbers stole two.....I was too full of chicken fried to attempt to fight him....
    I had 65 degrees this morning on my phone, but that was in Strawn. My thermometer on my pack showed 60.5 this morning.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    And then there was the normal “hiker” conversation at Mary’s restaurant in Strawn.

Hostess lady at the register: “Hi, you need a table or are you looking for someone?”
    Me: “Um…….Well, is Caveman here?”
    Lady: “………a Caveman…….?”
    Me: “Yeah, well, he looks like a domesticated version……he’s married”
    Lady: “……r e a l l y………….”
    Me: “what about Jibbers?”
    Lady: “Jiggers? We server beer here”
    Me: “No Jibbers…..forget him,……….say, has GoSpidey checked in?”
    Lady: “Spider Man……Look….the sheriff is over in the back room and I’d like it if he can finish his chicken fried…………”
    Me: “I’ll sit quietly over here……..” (Turns around to see Jibbers sitting there grinning)
    Call me Junior

"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    And then there was the normal “hiker” conversation at Mary’s restaurant in Strawn.

Hostess lady at the register: “Hi, you need a table or are you looking for someone?”
    Lady: “Spider Man……Look….the sheriff is over in the back room and I’d like it if he can finish his chicken fried…………”
    Me: “I’ll sit quietly over here……..” (Turns around to see Jibbers sitting there grinning)

Too funny!
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who crave closure

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post

+1 on "normal hiker conversation"
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Wait.....there was a train? Jibbers, Farmer and I thought that was the hammock hanger up the hill snoring..................
    Call me Junior

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    +1 on "normal hiker conversation"
    "normal hiker conversation" is an oxymoron, like "military intelligence" or "happily married"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end tablecloth
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix 20
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    Our camp location was rare indeed. It came equipped with with peaceful sleep sounds in the variety of: Passing train, white noise generator, or pre-millennia country music. I am pretty sure I woke up around 5:30 to the sounds of Glen Campbell. And as already mentioned, it came equipped with UL blocks to be used in various fashions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast