Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If it were me, I'd opt for the warm clothing and not rely on the bivvy. I haven't found the emergency blankets to be a viable option. Fleece or wool top/bottom along with wool socks, used only for sleeping, would keep you warmer AND more comfortable. Reflectix under your pad will be a big help also. Mine is sized to cover from waist to shoulders, I've found that if my core stays warm I sleep well.

Get 5 yards of 5mm silk from Dharma and 3 yards of 1.8 primaloft from thruhiker and make a quilt good for 60dF that weighs 8-9oz or so and cost about $50 total. M50 if you want it more water resistant and more expensive and about 1 oz heavier.

I agree with above in that Emergency Bivies are best left for emergency shelter. Mine was more of an experiment to see if it was actually useable as a sleep system. I opened it up to a quilt and put velcro on the bottom and sides. Have a lightweight fleece blanket with maching velco on it so it fastens to the emer bivy.

That said its heavier than my Climashield 2.5 Apex quilt so...
    Last edited by tammons; 08-19-2013 at 15:52.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Get 5 yards of 5mm silk from Dharma and 3 yards of 1.8 primaloft from thruhiker and make a quilt good for 60dF that weighs 8-9oz or so and cost about $50 total. M50 if you want it more water resistant and more expensive and about 1 oz heavier.

I agree with above in that Emergency Bivies are best left for emergency shelter. Mine was more of an experiment to see if it was actually useable as a sleep system. I opened it up to a quilt and put velcro on the bottom and sides. Have a lightweight fleece blanket with maching velco on it so it fastens to the emer bivy.

That said its heavier than my Climashield 2.5 Apex quilt so...
    Thanks for all the info. That's pretty much what it would be for me too, an experiment. Add some clothing, a sleeping pad, and maybe a fleece blanket. Possibly configure the tarp to avoid as much wind as possible and see if I can sleep in 60*F.... Been wanting to find a lightweight warm weather quilt, just never wanted to spend the money.

With a fleece layer I am sure it would be warm to 60dF or below.

If you want to try it send me a PM and I will mail it to you as long as I get it back.
    You pay for postage.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    you want to use the AMK SOL Escape bivvy, not their "Emergency". it breathes, whereas the Emergency will result in moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    With a fleece layer I am sure it would be warm to 60dF or below.

If you want to try it send me a PM and I will mail it to you as long as I get it back.
    You pay for postage.
    It's all good man. This will be the last hike we'll do this summer. After this it will be cool weather camping. But come Spring I will probably refer back to this and fashion my own fleece layer bag.

Appreciate it.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

SOL Emergency Bivvy as my Bag

My son and I just did a hang last weekend with lows in the low to mid 60s... Probably lows 60s since we camped by a creek.

I think your bottom insulation will have a big impact on what you need on top. When the cold front called for a cool forecast, I unpacked the hot weather blankets and took our IX Underquilts. It was so toasty warm even without any clothing (boxers only). I think my son may have worn his t-shirt.

I stuck my feet under my JCP puffer quilt, and covered the top of my right shoulder that had cooled from the gentle breeze. The rest of me stay uncovered most if the night.

While this would be about a 40 degree setup with a base layer, I think we could have been comfortable with just the underquilts and a light sheet. Even my son remarked it was almost too warm.

If your foam pad keeps you warm enough, then clothes and a light top cover will work. You could just buy 7-9 feet of fabric at the fabric store (like fleece).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    My son and I just did a hang last weekend with lows in the low to mid 60s... Probably lows 60s since we camped by a creek.

I think your bottom insulation will have a big impact on what you need on top. When the cold front called for a cool forecast, I unpacked the hot weather blankets and took our IX Underquilts. It was so toasty warm even without any clothing (boxers only). I think my son may have worn his t-shirt.

I stuck my feet under my JCP puffer quilt, and covered the top of my right shoulder that had cooled from the gentle breeze. The rest of me stay uncovered most if the night.

While this would be about a 40 degree setup with a base layer, I think we could have been comfortable with just the underquilts and a light sheet. Even my son remarked it was almost too warm.

If your foam pad keeps you warm enough, then clothes and a light top cover will work. You could just buy 7-9 feet of fabric at the fabric store (like fleece).

Good luck!
    Thinking of doing something like this. Possibly put my sleeping pad as my base bottom insulation, then using the emergency blanket as a heat container ontop of that. Then just using a fleece or some sort on top of me. Planning on bringing clothes to wear in case it gets too cool, but I think thats my plan for now. Thanks

Just thought I would report back on how the weekend went without a sleeping bag. Low temp go to mid to lower 50's, btw.

Had a closed cell sleeping pad inside my SkeeterBeeter Pro hammock. Slept in long pants, wool socks, lock sleeve shirt and a beenie. I bought this to lay ontop of the hammock and reflect any heat back down on me - http://www.rei.com/product/820923/so...tility-blanket

Then laid the SOL Emergency Bivvy sack underneath me. Slept like a baby until the wind picked up at about 6am and blew the tarp over.
    Last edited by madhatter; 08-26-2013 at 08:09.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    A fleece liner bag has been all we have needed this summer. When it was really hot, we use it as a quilt. Otherwise, climb into it.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    ASM Troop 140
    North Ridgeville, Ohio

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast