Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SOL Emergency Bivvy as my Bag

Going out this weekend. Low temp in the night is supposed to be in the low 60's. Have the Skeeter Beater Pro with a tarp and a self inflating sleeping pad. I also will have my tarp just in case things get wet. Basically wondering if you think that I could use an Emergency Bivy Bag like this one - http://www.rei.com/product/813511/sol-emergency-bivvy and stay warm?

Could I just lay ontop of it and sleep with my clothes on? Or put my clothes under it and just use it as a blanket? Keep in mind I could bring the tarp in close to me to keep warm as well.

Thanks.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    It may keep you warm but
    Will stay noisyall night.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    You certainly could but the comfort level might not be there. I find them noisy and personally I sweat heavy when I am wrapped up in one. I would use a light sleeping bag as a top quilt rather than the bivvy sack.

60's can be pretty darn chilly. Your body temp is 98.6 and will normally drop a bit when you sleep. I sleep fairly warm and find that anything at or below 70F requires some good insulation. If you add a wind to 60F it gets down right cold to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    You certainly could but the comfort level might not be there. I find them noisy and personally I sweat heavy when I am wrapped up in one. I would use a light sleeping bag as a top quilt rather than the bivvy sack.

60's can be pretty darn chilly. Your body temp is 98.6 and will normally drop a bit when you sleep. I sleep fairly warm and find that anything at or below 70F requires some good insulation. If you add a wind to 60F it gets down right cold to me.
    The sweat thing is my main concern because I do have a tendency to sweat even on normal nights. Thinking of using it as an added bottom insulator with my sleeping pad then just bringing a sheet and sleeping in my clothes. Trying to avoid bringing my full sleeping bag as all I have is a 20 degree. It is a down bag, but still...

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

I had a couple breezy 60° nights a month ago wearing a warm fleece hoodie, thin wool hat, shorts, wool socks, reflectix butt pad and a medium weight small fleece blanket. I left my 20° TQ and full reflectix pad at home.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

So what I took from that was keep my feet, head and neck warm. I think you can get away with less insulation if all of that stuff is handled well.

Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    So what I took from that was keep my feet, head and neck warm. I think you can get away with less insulation if all of that stuff is handled well.
    Thanks for the info. I guess then the question is....Is it worth it to just bring my sleeping bag vs. bringing warm clothes....

If you vent it enough it might be okay.
    That said a few years ago I bought a adventure medical thermal emergency bivy bag and I tried to sleep in it one night at about 60dF and I woke up soaking wet.

I modified it to fully open up and its better but still is too clammy. Weighs 7oz.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    If you vent it enough it might be okay.
    That said a few years ago I bought a adventure medical thermal emergency bivy bag and I tried to sleep in it one night at about 60dF and I woke up soaking wet.

I modified it to fully open up and its better but still is too clammy. Weighs 7oz.
    Not a bad idea, worst case scenario, cut it up to make it into a blanket vs. a bivvy.

Sounds like its doable, just depends on how your configuring it and if you mind wearing some clothing etc.

Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess then the question is....Is it worth it to just bring my sleeping bag vs. bringing warm clothes....
    I think my experience indicates that warm clothes worked well for me in similar circumstances.

YMMV, etc...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast