DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks

Single line with 3 UCRs feasible?

I'm thinking of switching over from Whoopie slings to UCRs. I don't care mutch about pack weight, but I think UCRs would reduce tangles quite a bit. To that end, I think that a single line would tangle even less. My idea is to use four pieces of cord (Amsteel blue) to make one continuous line with three constrictors and attach the hammock with larksheads. This would give me adjustments at each end, and an adjustable ridge line.

I think that similar could be done with three pieces of cord and two burys giving you a semi adjustable ridgeline (adjusted by moving the larkshead knots), but I don't know exactly where I like my sag yet, so more adjustable is more better for me at this point.

So my question is; Is this setup feasable? Do larksheads loosen or walk if they are pulled in opposit directions? Is there a better knot than the larkshead for this? Is there something I'm missing (like a thread where this has already been discussed)?

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: Single line with 3 UCRs feasible?

Not sure you will be too far ahead with a single line. I use 3 separate ucrs. Essentially the same thing and works well enough. I have a UCR larks headed to each end of the hammock and a Adj. SRL made of a UCR.

Not sure the point of re inventing the wheel here? Can you draw it out or try to explain why you think a Single line is better? What are you trying to accomplish?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I call it an interrupted single line suspension (ISLS). I use 1/8" Amsteel Blue throughout. Though my SRL is a whoopie and I connect the pieces with carabineers it is basically a SLS using UCRs for suspension.

Last edited by MDSH; 08-21-2013 at 16:18.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Anyone have a picture or video of these suspensions? I'm interested in hoe they work and I'm having trouble grasping the written descriptions.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks

1. Locked brummel eye splice
    2. Bury
    3. Lark's Head
    4. Adjustable tail
    5. Fixed tail
    Red for each end piece, blue and green for the center two. The color of the numbers matches the color of the cord. The red 5s could be (and probably would be on mine) locked brummels of course.
    Last edited by p0key; 08-21-2013 at 15:17.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

I see. It should work. I have no experience with using a larkshead in that manner.

I would suggest that the tails #5 could be tied using a midshipman's hitch so your burry is pulled in both directions.

My system is 3 pieces two UCRs and a UCR SRL. In application it is exactly the same, IMO. Its just constructed differently. If the larks heads hold you should have a workable suspension.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Thinking about it more the larks head may shift because the load on the suspension is greater than the load on the SRL portion. Maybe tie an alpine butterfly and larks head the loops to the hammock. I'd be more confident in this setup.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    p0key, I'm currently using a Single Line Suspension but with the discussions of UCR's have been rethinking my SLS.

First a question. With the UCR's at the ends of your suspension for adjustment is the center UCR necessary?

On my SLS where you have the #3 larkheads I use fixed loops with the tails buried into the SLS and short whoopies larks headed to each end of the hammock which attach to the buried loops with soft shackles. My tarp stays permanently attached to the SLS with UCR's buried inside the SLS outboard of the hammock loops. I found that when under tension the tarp UCR's can't be adjusted as the SLS locks them in. My thought is to place the tarp UCR's on the outside of the SLS.

Another suggestion from borntoroam was to permanently attach the tree huggers in the end loops #1 which I adopted. The tree huggers are attached back on themselves with soft shackles.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    I would suggest that the tails #5 could be tied using a midshipman's hitch so your burry is pulled in both directions.
    Great suggestion. Do you have a link to how this is done with a UCR?

Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Maybe tie an alpine butterfly and larks head the loops to the hammock. I'd be more confident in this setup.
    Yes, that looks like a much better idea to me. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    With the UCR's at the ends of your suspension for adjustment is the center UCR necessary?
    Only if you need to adjust your sag. The ridge line is structural. I do need to adjust my ridge line, because I'm still learning where I like it.

A whoopie sling with a small amount of adjustment might be a better choice than a UCR for the ridge line, because it holds better than a UCR and I shouldn't need a lot of adjustment there. Since whoopies use almost twice as much line as UCRs, then the chances of a tangled line is greater with a whoopie than with a UCR. My main goal with this idea is to reduce the chance of a knotted up cord without sacrificing adjustability or ease of use. I like having a lot of adjustment in the suspension, so the UCR seems like a better choice for me at the ends.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    On my SLS where you have the #3 larkheads I use fixed loops with the tails buried into the SLS and short whoopies larks headed to each end of the hammock which attach to the buried loops with soft shackles. My tarp stays permanently attached to the SLS with UCR's buried inside the SLS outboard of the hammock loops. I found that when under tension the tarp UCR's can't be adjusted as the SLS locks them in. My thought is to place the tarp UCR's on the outside of the SLS.

Another suggestion from borntoroam was to permanently attach the tree huggers in the end loops #1 which I adopted. The tree huggers are attached back on themselves with soft shackles.
    Sorry olddog. I'm still just a noob, and I don't understand any of this. Maybe if you had a picture...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast