First hang of my WBBB..1 question

Hey y'all. Got my WBBB DL 1.7 in a few days ago but, due to work and me helping coach my son's football team, I was only able to get it hung for a short period of time yesterday. From what little bit I was able to use it, I feel like I'm really REALLY going to enjoy it. To try and make a long story short, with my first hang I did as most suggest in hanging the straps around 20 degrees with the foot end higher than the head. When I got in it I was sooooo comfortable but my ridgeline was really tight. I wasn't able to bend the ridgeline to even 45 degrees so I decided to hang it between 2 different trees. 2nd attempt seemed better. I was still VERY comfortable in it but I noticed that while sitting and laying in it that the ridgeline had much more slack in it and I was able to bend the ridgeline pretty easily to almost 90 degrees. I was able to see that, while lying in it, the ridgeline was pretty loose (not taut in appearance). I thought that I was fine since I was comfortable in it and since I was able to bend the line to 90 degrees. Am I right in that way of thinking or should there still be some reasonable tautness in the RL while lying and/or sitting in it?

Please forgive me if I sound like a noob with my choice of words and descriptions...it's mainly because I am a noob

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    There will be slight variations in every hang. As long as you're comfortable I think you will be fine. You want to be able to bend the ridgeline a little bit so don't hang it as tight as possible, about a 30 degree angle on the suspension is good. If it is hanging slack and you still feel comfortable then thats fine.
    -Jon-

Good deal. Thank you for your reply.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I found I am comfortable in my BB no mater how tight or loose I have the ridge line.

These days I usually don't stake out the sides
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Brandon recommends being able to bend the RL to 90 degrees but its not critical. The RL maintains consistent sag. You adjust the tautness of the RL by shortening or lengthening your suspension. Once you get the tautness you want just move the straps up and down the trees to get the desired height from the ground.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Brandon recommends being able to bend the RL to 90 degrees but its not critical. The RL maintains consistent sag. You adjust the tautness of the RL by shortening or lengthening your suspension. Once you get the tautness you want just move the straps up and down the trees to get the desired height from the ground.
    Oh ok. I thought changing the height of the straps (as in putting the foot end higher than the head end) would also change the tautness of the RL....but now I know different. I learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the replies y'all.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You're welcome.

Raising the foot end higher is usually done to help alleviate the calf ridge pressure that can be caused by gathered end hammocks by shifting your centre of gravity and allowing for more hammock material from your body to the foot end.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts