DIY tablecloth, Byer Double
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Web, single line

Goodwill snag, into DIY TQ

Snagged a late '80s Slumberjack 40* mummy bag from Goodwill for $5!!! Its a "Micro Biker .875", with Dupont Microloft. I guess one of Duponts early synthetic downs. Fluff is a bit compressed, but its broken in nicely, and is super comfy. And a few quick fluffs of the fill and it seems to puff up enough in my mind. In perfect condition, and zipper works perfect!

Now to the questions, if you had found this, what would you do to it for hammocking? Should i cut off the zipper? Put any grosgrain tabs on the sides for keeping it in place? Sew a port in the end of the footbox so my hammock can thread through it? Or just leave it like it is and roll?

Just looking for ideas as to how I can really dial it in for hammocking. I have two other mummies, but theyre both really really nice and im not willing to cut or sew on them at all. This one is nice, but for $5, im wanting to try my hand at DIY and see how I can improve on it.

Any and all ideas or comments are welcome!
    Live every day as if it was your last.
    Laugh much, love often.
    Happy hanging!!!

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I have picked up two high quality down sleeping bags from Salvation Army for about what you paid. One is great I love it, I cut the zipper off used some bias cut Lycra to bind off where the zipper was. The bag already had a wonderful round foot box in the end. I just love it. The second sleeping bag I ran through a commercial drier to kill any bugs that might have settled in. I put the sleeping bag into a plastic bag and put it in the trunk. I opened it up when I was ready to use it, the oder about knocked me out...

If I ever buy used down again I will firs enclose it for a couple of days and see if it has a odor. I ripped open the second one on a windy day to let the birds and other critters use it for their nests or whatever.

You could make a hat, bootys and gloves with enough leftover for a TQ or UQ. Have fun just be careful about bugs and odors.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    There are a few threads on modifying a mummybag into a Top Quilt or even a Under Quilt.

A TQ will have less bag used since your removing the bottom part you would normaly sleep on by rotating the bag upside down, removing the zipper, cutting some of the fabric and a few other tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    ...The second sleeping bag I ran through a commercial drier to kill any bugs that might have settled in. I put the sleeping bag into a plastic bag and put it in the trunk. I opened it up when I was ready to use it, the oder about knocked me out...
    You may have put the bag into the plastic while still wet. After you use the dryer, you would still need to air it out in as low a humidity room/closet/shelter 1-3 days before completely sealing the plastic.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth, Byer Double
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Web, single line
    Fortunately, in ohio the store is required to certify every garment as sanitized, so im feelin ok as far as bugs. And there is zero smell to it at all.

Im likin the idea of turnin it upside down and removing the "top" of the bag, just leaving a solid footbox at the end. And it would leave me some spare fill to do a small project with...
    Live every day as if it was your last.
    Laugh much, love often.
    Happy hanging!!!

• + New Posts