Suitable Fabric?

Hi All,

My knowledge of fabric is badly lacking so looking for opinions on whether this would be suitable for a first attempt at a DIY hammock
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-Brown-C...item20ceff6911

Taffeta seems to be difficult to get in large enough sizes in the UK. Either that or I'm just crap at finding it!

Any views greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark
    Last edited by Meggark; 08-21-2013 at 17:33.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Hello Mark. It's 100% poly, so it looks good. You can also look for a plain weave nylon instead of ripstop nylon. Polyester will make a great hammock, but it won't stretch like nylon. Being non metric, I can't tell you if the fabric weight (thickness) of 1mm means in terms of 30d, 40d, etc. Depending on your weight, you may want to look into it.

I also see they have this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2oz-Techni...item667a0df168

which looks like 1.9 oz nylon that also makes a good hammock material.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Thanks, I should probably have said it's intended for an indoor hammock so comfort and a nice feel against skin is key.

I take it that a little bit of stretch is desirable? Would the second one you listed be a better option?
    Cheers,

Mark

www.GyroForum.com - UK Based Autogyro Forum.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meggark View Post
    Thanks, I should probably have said it's intended for an indoor hammock so comfort and a nice feel against skin is key.

I take it that a little bit of stretch is desirable? Would the second one you listed be a better option?
    I personally would get the crinkle poly fabric - feels good against the skin. I'm one of those people that likes minimal stretch.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Since it's for indoor use, I wouldn't worry about the cotton content of that fabric.

However, if you ever intend on using it outside for long periods, you will want one that avoids cotton; cotton soaks up water and eventually rots under field conditions.

Also, if you're worried about the "hand" of the fabric (i.e.: how it feels), see if the seller will send you a sample swatch. Most fabric suppliers will do that upon request, and it helps a lot in choosing.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Thanks guys I went for the polycotton taffeta, and have since discovered hundreds more taffeta rolls on ebay (I had spelt it wrong the first time and didn't realise!). The seller did indeed offer a free sample but for the low price I just took the plunge. I'm sure it will be suitable but if not no drama. Maybe I'll make a hammock for the cat, see if he likes it lol
    Cheers,

Mark

www.GyroForum.com - UK Based Autogyro Forum.

• + New Posts