Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    BIAS Camper DL
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Newbie but I know I want a BIAS!!!

So I'm a fairly experienced backpacker, but a complete newb when it comes to hammocking. After lots of research I'm 100% positive I want a BIAS. The problem is that I truly don't know which one to order. I'm the type of guy that I just want a go to item for pretty much everything, so I want one that I know(with a few modifications) will get me through just about any trip. So here is where my thoughts start bouncing all over the place. I'm 6'3" 230lbs right now. Usually hover around 220, but i've been injured. I know the 11 foot length is great, especially for taller guys, but everything I read also says that the wider the more comfy I would be as well. I'm not really worried about weight of the hammock, I can drop ounces elsewhere, but I think the camper xl may be a bit too large. Especially when I throw in the caveat of possibly wanting a double layer just for extra strength and the option to put a pad in there. Not having a lot of money to go towards a UQ I may have to go with the pad option for a bit. To cut to the chase, I guess I just want some advice on an awesome hammock that I can be proud of, get a kick *** nights sleep in, be comfy as a pair of fur lined slippers....but not be overkill. Thanks guys.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Welcome to the forum. I don't know Bias,
    So you will need advice from someone else.
    Best hangs

Images
    Welcome! Bias is a great company, I suggest you call them up, talk to Brian or Shane and they can walk you thru the best choice for you. If I remember correctly they may steer you away from too wide. They make great products!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You and I seem to be in the same situation. I am fairly experienced at backpacking, but have never even laid in a camping hammock before, much less owned one! I am 6' and 200 lbs. After much research on these forms, I finally settled on a BIAS WWM. I pulled the trigger on Sunday. I went with a 56" wide double layer since I do not have an under quilt either. My next trip is not going to happen until late October but I am still anxious to get into this. Happy to realize that my ground dwelling days are over!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, WWM
    Tarp
    HG, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, Foyle
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Just received a WW dl last week and spent my my 1st night in a "real" hammock Saturday night. Could not be happier!... quality workmanship all around. I'm 5-11 215lb and was very comfortable using a pad and down bag. I did experience mild CBS on this and two previous hangs though, so last night I ordered a DIY 3/4 UQ from Underquits.com

Hammock
    Butt In A Sling
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the BIAS Camper Hammock and, although it is all I have known, I love it! I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs. The length and width are great. I think you're wise to get the double layer, I wish I had had the money for it at the time as I've needed to use a pad on my last couple trips and it's just a nightmare trying to keep it in the right place under me. I switched to a space blanket once and it was better but I'm saving up for an underquilt, for sure. Don't hesitate to email or call the guys at BIAS, they're great!

Banned

I just got a Bias hammock and must say the workmanship is awesome great product!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro, BIAS WW DL
    Tarp
    Blue Cat
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm right at 230 myself and I went with the WW DL in 1.1 fabric. It is great. I got it with the knotty mod and I sleep like a baby every night. I am 5'10" and it is more than wide enough for me, so you shouldn't really have any issues with width.

The double layer is great for budget camping. I spent a night sleeping comfortably under 30 degrees with a no-sew PLUQ and a blue foam pad in between the layers.

Hammock
    WBRR,WBXLC
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    HG,Wookie
    Suspension
    WEBBING

If u want a bias make sure to place order well in advance. I'm on day 92 and waiting
    CLYDE

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

I have the camper xl double layer and its amazing! Super comfortable. I think they get backed up with orders in the summer but they will likely get them done soon. Shane is a great guy to work with.
    Carpe noctem!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast