Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings

Weather

The forest roads roads may well be soupy. Keep an eye on conditions this week. Weekend still predicted to be good. Highs in mid 80s and lows in mid to lower 60s.

Subject: Flood Watch: Additional Heavy Rain Possible

Synopsis & Timing
    The combination of a lingering front and developing low pressure system along the front over the next couple of days will bring the potential for waves of locally heavy rainfall to affect much
    of northeast Florida and coastal southeast Georgia through Wednesday. Periods of
    heavy rainfall will develop in bands; we are not expecting a prolong widespread rain.
    However, where flooding may develop, especially along portions of the northeast Florida
    and southeast Georgis coast into Wednesday.
    A flood watch continues for much of northeast Florida (east of Live Oak and Lake City) and now includes coastal southeast Georgia due to recent heavy rains there.

Impacts
    Widespread rainfall amounts of 1-3 inches are expected over the watch area, with the highest amounts of 2 to 3 inches along the coast. Farther west and northwest, less than 1 inch of rainfall is still expected over the next 2 days over the Suwannee River Valley of northeast Florida and inland SE Ga...while the SE Ga coast could see rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches through Wednesday. Due to the grounds already saturated from heavy rains...any additional
    heavy rain could cause localized flooding.

A few strong thunderstorms will be possible...however at this time widespread severe weather is not expected. In the stronger storms, gusty winds and waterspouts over the coastal waters will be the primary hazards.
    The attached image highlights the latest rainfall outlook and forecast information.
    Please contact us, anytime, for more detailed information or the latest forecast.
    Best regards,
    Phil Psterson
    Additional Information Resources:
    NWS Jacksonville Contact Numbers: (800) 499-1594, ext. 1 & (904) 741-4370, ext. 4
    NWS Jacksonville Webpage: srh.noaa.gov/jax
    NWS Jacksoville Facebook: facebook.com/US.NationalWeatherService.Jacksonville.gov
    NWS Jacksonville Twitter: twitter.com/NWSJacksonville
    AHPS River Forecasts: water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=jax
    Numbers 35:34
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think." - Milton Berle

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    I love WEATHER! I also love hanging above the water. Good not not be on the ground if we do get rain.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings
    Skunkape - I always tell my scouts they will be swimming in their tents long before the water is deep enough to get me wet!
    Numbers 35:34
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think." - Milton Berle

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BearBurrito View Post
    Skunkape - I always tell my scouts they will be swimming in their tents long before the water is deep enough to get me wet!
    Someones got to feed the fish.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Thanks for the heads-up, BearBurrito. I think the drive into Pat's Island from SR 19 should be passable; I've never seen mud through there that was too bad.

But, be cautious in some of the spots on the FT hiking into the hang; some of the lower sections that skirt prairie get pretty wet when there's standing water. I recall hiking through about an hundred or hundred-fifty meter section that had water up to my ankles (and hid some of the ankle-breakers through there) just after coming down the hill past the south Yearling Trail intersection. Bring a spare set of socks; you might need 'em coming in from the north.

And, yes, that's something I always tell folks about why I choose an hammock in FL: if you're getting wet from underneath in an hammock, you have bigger problems than just getting wet......
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ... if you're getting wet from underneath in an hammock, you have bigger problems than just getting wet......
    and if you're getting wet from inside your hammock, well, Depends.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
    and if you're getting wet from inside your hammock, well, Depends.
    *waaah...waaaah...waaaaah*
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Well packing is taking me forever!!! Funny how a just a few months away sets you back fo far. I did get a new headlamp. Gotta get food and print some maps. Have no idea what my base weight will be anymore. I just added a couple of ounces for a new headlamp. Zebra H501d. Like it so far around the house.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Well guys, I hate to do this last minute but I have to back out. I have gotten sick. Running a temp, and my throat is killing me. I will see ya'll next time though promise.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
    Well packing is taking me forever!!! Funny how a just a few months away sets you back fo far. I did get a new headlamp. Gotta get food and print some maps. Have no idea what my base weight will be anymore. I just added a couple of ounces for a new headlamp. Zebra H501d. Like it so far around the house.
    I hear you. I've been meaning to Permethrin my gear for the last two days, but just haven't found the time--it's been too damp for it to dry out. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it done today in the shed and have it done so that I can finish packing tomorrow. Food prep's 90% done; I just need to dehydrate the additional stuff for my first night's dinner (it's going in after I finish this message, so...).

Quote Originally Posted by Riddled View Post
    Well guys, I hate to do this last minute but I have to back out. I have gotten sick. Running a temp, and my throat is killing me. I will see ya'll next time though promise.
    I understand. Better that you get better than the other way 'round. Being ill several miles from civilization is never fun. Feel better.
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast