Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I love the idea of these........ I've noticed this on the local fabric place's site...

have anyone had experience using WeatherTek's 2 layer WaterProof Breathable fabric, or similar 2-3 layer WPB materials, and how do they stack up against Gore-Tex? tempted to make a sock out of the camo 2 layer WPB but I'm not sure I can justify it when I can use an UQ and tarp set up.... do love the fact that there appears to be more room in those than other socks I've seen..due to the RL.

as for wet shoes and boots....I would bring them inside and hang inside dry bags off of the RL....

Hammock
    ENO DN at home, WB Traveler camping
    Tarp
    Silnylon 8X10
    Insulation
    Dry Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by R3l@x View Post
    I've been watching this thread because I have a sock on order. I've been trying different methods for a while now. This is what works for me..

In summer I use light trail shoes, they now set under the tarp or in my gear hammock. I use vivobarefoot-ultra-pure shoes to quickly get up and answer natures call. fast and easy to put on and light enough. Let the trail shoes get wet/cold and thaw in the morning.

I just got off the Long trail where it was 0 degrees, snowing and windy. I let the trail shoes freeze under the hammock or in my gear hammock and use Goose feet down socks with overcover. I wear the down socks to bed and when I have to get up I slip on the over covers and do my business. In the morning I thaw out the shoes between my legs with my gloved hands inside. Easier for me than taking wet shoes in the hammock.

Once I get the GT sock I may try putting lighter boots in the bottom of the sock in a waterproof bag to keep them warm while keeping extra moisture out of the sock. Heavy winter boots I'll do the same as I do now, I don't like the feel of extra weight on the suspension so I don't hang anything heavy with my hammock. I'll Let them freeze under me in a bag or in my gear hammock, use my down booties and thaw the boots in the morning when I'm ready to move around.

Hope this helps.
    I've been following this thread for a while now. Before hammocking (and on trips without decent trees) I've used a GoreTex bivy and a small tarp for many years and love it. So, a very interesting thread. As for the shoe/boot issue, has anyone tried putting a couple of hand/toe warmers inside the shoe/boots and then put them inside a weatherproof bag with the top open just enough to vent?
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." John Muir

Images
    I was hoping for a report on how much condensation- if any- there was in this cold snap. I had none inside the HH Super Shelter with over cover, though I was expecting a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I was hoping for a report on how much condensation- if any- there was in this cold snap. I had none inside the HH Super Shelter with over cover, though I was expecting a bunch.

What's the over cover made of?

Images
    I don't know. Some type of non-coated nylon. Breathable and per my test plus some rain that got past my tarp once, fairly water resistant. There is a 6" diameter vent on one side near where my head ends up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tylojuky View Post
    What's the over cover made of?
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/
    The OverCover is uncoated 30D nylon with a breathing hole which fits over the mosquito net. It is intended to maintain warmer temperatures inside the shelter during dry, sub-freezing conditions. The OverCover is an accessory for the 4 Season SuperShelter. Condensation which may form on the inside of the breathable OverCover will wick through the uncoated nylon fabric and evaporate into the dry air moving between the OverCover and the rainfly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314