Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    That's a nice looking sock. I like the choice of materials too. I am looking forward to hearing how this thing works in the cooler weather.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by chazham View Post
    WOW, that is one awesome pod. I've had several Gore-Tex jackets in my day and loved them. Would really like to know how this works out. I'll be keeping tabs on your developments.
    Thanks.

I wish I had a really large walk in freezer to use.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: Gore-Tex Super Winter Sock

How do you seal the GTX? Sil sealer or something else?

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    How do you seal the GTX? Sil sealer or something else?
    Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer - gets into the smallest holes and seals thread really well. It's all I use for tarps and stuff.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: Gore-Tex Super Winter Sock

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer - gets into the smallest holes and seals thread really well. It's all I use for tarps and stuff.
    Thats what I use on sil. Good to know it works on goretex.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator20
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Wow...very nice looking sock

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvillehammock View Post
    Wow...very nice looking sock
    Thank you.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I think I will be following this thread closely. I am not sure how I feel about being in a sock since I am only recently a hammock-er and am used to space in a tent. Considering we are dipping into the low 40s, high 30s at night (already), being wrapped in a Gore-Tex sock(esp our winters) seems like a great way to keep UQ protected from moisture. Well from mother nature anyways. Let me know if they go for retail. I even like the idea of the blue for winter.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    In the past I have heard from a number of people, as well as friends, that they felt trapped in a hammock sock.
    The first few times I used my hammock sock I did notice that it took alittle more work to enter and exit the hammock but the comfort of the sock, it was worth it. While I have been told that I was born without the phobia, I can understand why some folks dont like the sock because of claustrophobia. But if you were to compare it to the tent, the only real difference is its not sitting on the ground.
    Either way, if one can overcome the idea of being enclosed in a death-trap-tomb and look at it as a warm-cozy-hammock-sock, then they will reap the benefits of these awesome hammock accessories.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    I think I will be following this thread closely. I am not sure how I feel about being in a sock since I am only recently a hammock-er and am used to space in a tent. Considering we are dipping into the low 40s, high 30s at night (already), being wrapped in a Gore-Tex sock(esp our winters) seems like a great way to keep UQ protected from moisture. Well from mother nature anyways. Let me know if they go for retail. I even like the idea of the blue for winter.
    Thanks DeRozea. The gore-tex sock protects eveything, but at a price - space. I'm a big guy and while I don't enjoy tiny spaces, I have a lot of room to move around with the sock on the hammock - that's the way I made it.
    The sock can also have tie outs installed to pull the sides out - I'm doing this now so I can use the tie outs with my hammock tie outs to pull everything out.

With the temps only going down to the low 50's, it's still to warm to use the sock. It traps a great deal of heat - even when the door is open all the way - my back got uncomfortably warm.

I working on adding them to my site. I have to ask Scott a few things first.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    In the past I have heard from a number of people, as well as friends, that they felt trapped in a hammock sock.
    The first few times I used my hammock sock I did notice that it took alittle more work to enter and exit the hammock but the comfort of the sock, it was worth it. While I have been told that I was born without the phobia, I can understand why some folks dont like the sock because of claustrophobia. But if you were to compare it to the tent, the only real difference is its not sitting on the ground.
    Either way, if one can overcome the idea of being enclosed in a death-trap-tomb and look at it as a warm-cozy-hammock-sock, then they will reap the benefits of these awesome hammock accessories.
    This is one of the reasons I made my last ripstop sock so big - space issues and condensation problems. Once that was fixed, I LOVE my hammock socks - I'm a Southern boy stuck in the Midwest and I'm a cold sleeper.

As I said above - pull outs make all the difference. I have a feeling I'm going to need to vent the gore-tex sock even in real cold - I'm expecting a bigger gain in trapped heat over the ripstop one.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker

Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Awesome job LB. At 32oz it ain't bad. Especially since you don't need a tarp now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Thanks - that's what I was thinking.
    How are you going to protect your gear, without a tarp?
    (I'm new to hammocking, and trying to figure this all out.... )

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast