Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks

What does extra down do???

Hi guys, in either the top or under quilt, what does the extra down do? Like for example, if I have a 15 degree rated top quilt, will more down increase that, and if so what does every extra ounce add???

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Wb mambajamba
    Insulation
    Pheonix20 golite1s
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    It lowers the temp rating. By how much I don't know.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    The conventional wisdom is that each ounce of over stuff adds about 5°F additional to the temp rating of the quilt. Up to about 5 ounces of over stuff, then there isn't much change.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    To expand on the question........ Would overfill be better on top quilt or bottom?
    I would think that bottom see more improvements from it.

IMO, overstuff would be effective bottom and top. If I could put it one place only, the bottom.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    There is a point of diminishing returns on overstuff. If the down is not able to expand fully it wont be as warm.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Don't know. If one computes the volume of the down tube and then uses that to compute the weight of down used to fill it then in theory an overfill allows for bad math or some clumping of the down with dirt and moisture. On a top quilt I think that may be more of an issue as there is more exposure to moisture laden breathe.

OTOH with a differential cut underquilt the inside should be the tight side so that the down fill channels sag open. More down might be less effective there...
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    With my Incubator (no overfill) from time to time I would experience cool spots that moved around. It was a mystery for quite a while as I attempted to compensate with different suspension tricks, washing the quilt, etc. I finally realized that the down was migrating. There was ample down to fill the quilt, but also enough room for it to shift slightly creating the migrating cool spots. The fix was to add about 1 oz of down, just enough to prevent shifting when fully lofted.

I don't know that I increased the temp rating because the loft is the same. But the comfort rating is way better.

IMO, adding warmth to the UQ provides the most bang for the buck. There are easy ways to add insulation on top (sleep in clothes, use a jacket as a blanket, etc.) It's harder to add insulation underneath, especially while on a trip.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    With my Incubator (no overfill) from time to time I would experience cool spots that moved around. It was a mystery for quite a while as I attempted to compensate with different suspension tricks, washing the quilt, etc. I finally realized that the down was migrating. There was ample down to fill the quilt, but also enough room for it to shift slightly creating the migrating cool spots. The fix was to add about 1 oz of down, just enough to prevent shifting when fully lofted.

I don't know that I increased the temp rating because the loft is the same. But the comfort rating is way better.

IMO, adding warmth to the UQ provides the most bang for the buck. There are easy ways to add insulation on top (sleep in clothes, use a jacket as a blanket, etc.) It's harder to add insulation underneath, especially while on a trip.
    Did you send your Incubator back to Hammock Gear to do that? If so, how much does that cost???

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    I added it myself as my DIY skills have improved since purchasing the quilt and I had some down on hand. You'd have to contact HG and find out what they'd charge.

Here's what I did to determine if/how much down to add to my quilt. First I laid the quilt flat on the bed and made sure the down was fully lofted. Then I gently shifted all the down to one end of the quilt, not trying to compress it, but eliminating any thin spots. There ended up being several inches of empty quilt when I finished. I measured and calculated how much volume of down was needed to fill the void.

If you do this you'll find out if your quilt will accept any more down. If you can't easily shift the down, then I doubt that adding down will accomplish anything besides adding weight.

FYI, when I washed my quilt after about three years, I regained about 1" of loft. It looked clean, but the wash water was quite dingy until the third rinse.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast