WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Ridge Runner w/hiking poles

You guys that use the Ridge Runner with hiking poles: how do you like it? Are there any cons to using hiking poles as opposed to the poles that come with the hammock? What steps do you take to protect your tarps?

These are my hiking poles: REI Hiker Shocklight. Anyone use these with the Ridge Runner?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Lots of poles

I'm curious about this too. If I can shave the weight of the poles off it will help me backpack with the WBRR vs my old standby HH EULA. The poles take a surprising amount of strain so I've been leery of using my hiking poles with the hammock. Also, if I use my hiking poles as spreader bars then I don't have anything to use for "porch mode". I'm kind of considering splitting the difference. I may keep carrying the head pole (I got the upgraded size one from WB) then use one of my hiking poles for the foot end since it's narrower. That will leave me one pole to prop up a corner for porch mode.

I also have a variety of old aluminum tent poles that I'm hoping to use as spreaders for the tarp pullouts. I'm thinking something like this. That might be the "other-other" option would be to use the head pole from WB for the hammock, one of my hiking poles for the foot end, then the other hiking pole as a spreader for the tarp. There are lots of options just depending on the amount of stuff I want to carry.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The main con for me is that I usually set up my tarp in porch mode for shade using my hiking poles......so I have to find a couple sticks. Other than that it works great for me. To protect the tarp I came up with some bumpers that I used for about 6 months before offering them on the site. They slip onto the suspension triangle lines and slide down over the spreader bar buckles. They are light weight, and give just a little measure of peace of mind if I rub the tarp.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I figured the porch mode issue would be the main con. I'm sure I could find a stick(s) that would work well enough for porch mode. I'm doing it.

pgibson - I checked out your site and I found the "bumpers" but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how you would use them. I'm assuming it covers the tips of the poles? Do you have any action pics?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post

pgibson - I checked out your site and I found the "bumpers" but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how you would use them. I'm assuming it covers the tips of the poles? Do you have any action pics?
    You would remove the suspension components at the Apex buckles on either end so that the amsteel legs that come off the hammock corners are free. Then slip the bumpers on and slide them down so that they cover/sleeve the buckles on the corners of the hammock where the poles attach. Re-rig the suspension and your set to hang. The bumpers will have a small hole on one side of each of them. The tips of either the stock spreader bars or hiking poles slip into the hole on the inside side of the buckles and cover the outward facing side....helping to prevent the tips of the poles rubbing on anything.

Brandon has a set up video on WB that covers how to remove and change the suspension set up on the RR. You would follow his steps and just add the bumpers mid way through. I can get a pic later today to show what it looks like all put together.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    Is it even possible to take the dogbones off the apex buckle without cutting it? Brandon's video shows how to take off the adjustable webbing buckles and put a woopie sling on, but the apex buckle is never removed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ

Re: Ridge Runner w/hiking poles

Quote Originally Posted by cpverne View Post
    Is it even possible to take the dogbones off the apex buckle without cutting it? Brandon's video shows how to take off the adjustable webbing buckles and put a woopie sling on, but the apex buckle is never removed.
    I'm pretty sure he covers that in the video for the spindrif cover....

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    thanks for that update. a pic sounds great.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenmel08 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he covers that in the video for the spindrif cover....
    Wow.. that was a lot simpler than I thought. I guess I had thought that each dogbone was larksheaded onto the apex buckle separately..

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Here is a shot of the bumpers. These ones have been on the hammock for about 6 or 7 months so they show a little wear but should give an idea of how and where they go onto the hammock at.

Overall it's a very simple installation. All of the lines are just larks headed onto the Apex buckles and you can remove them, slip on the bumpers and reattach the lines to the Apex buckle in just a mater of moments for each end of the hammock. Total time to add the bumpers is probably under 5 minutes and will give you a measure of protection from anything you use as a spreader bar...be it the stock bars or hiking poles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast