Tarp
    Noah 9 so far
    Insulation
    30* bag as peapod
    Suspension
    Soon to be whoopie
    Images

2nd night hang. Questions.

Ok, I got my second hang in the other night in the backyard in my Expd Asym. Much better than first hang as I found two trees this time instead of my limited width hammock stand.

It was much more comfortable as I set the sag to just slightly tension the ridge line this time and felt I was able to lie much flatter. I also put the foot end up a tad higher then the head end. I was comfy on my back, and was able to side sleep most of the night as well. This time I was on my POE inflatable mummy filled quite full too and it was much more comfortable then the thermarest. I still had the half blue ccf width wise under my torso. The POE was a bit colder as it has no insulation, but it wasn't too bad on a 40 degree night.

The problem is that my feet are pushing up against the bug net, curling them in and creating a little discomfort. I am not that tall (5'8ish). Am I going at too much of an angle here? My head is close to the bug netting as well.

And the stock fly is a bit of a frustration point. I know all the tips/tricks for it, and am using some, but even if I pull the ridgeline tight on it it sucks how loose it is.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by atison View Post
    The problem is that my feet are pushing up against the bug net, curling them in and creating a little discomfort. I am not that tall (5'8ish). Am I going at too much of an angle here? My head is close to the bug netting as well.
    I have the same problem in my Expedition, but I thought it was due to my height (6'). I don't go nearly as diagonal in the Expedition as I do my other hammocks for that very reason.
    And the stock fly is a bit of a frustration point. I know all the tips/tricks for it, and am using some, but even if I pull the ridgeline tight on it it sucks how loose it is.
    While there are a few people here that have gotten that tarp down pretty close to a science, it's too much work for me. That's why so many folks opt for an after-market tarp for their HHs. Work smarter not harder I guess.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)

Are you tying the tarp to the trees or the hooks on the suspension? Try the trees.

I always slept on my side, so didn't have the problem with my feet in the ULB.

Images
    Ok, I got my second hang in the other night in the backyard in my Expd Asym. Much better than first hang as I found two trees this time instead of my limited width hammock stand.

It was much more comfortable as I set the sag to just slightly tension the ridge line this time and felt I was able to lie much flatter. I also put the foot end up a tad higher then the head end. I was comfy on my back, and was able to side sleep most of the night as well. This time I was on my POE inflatable mummy filled quite full too and it was much more comfortable then the thermarest. I still had the half blue ccf width wise under my torso. The POE was a bit colder as it has no insulation, but it wasn't too bad on a 40 degree night.

Not sure what the deal is with that? I am 6'1", and seem to have plenty of room, though I do have the longer ( and wider? not sure) Explorer. I was going to suggest maybe you needed to be a bit closer to the head end, but it sounds like you are already there.
    That is always the fly( no pun intended) in the ointment. If you want to stick with that tarp ( low weight/cost) you will have to choose between a nice tight hang by attaching tarp to trees, or much superior rain coverage(IMO) by attaching as HH suggests, to the hammock suspension. You might be able to get adequate coverage with adequate tightness by attaching only one end to the hammock, the other to the trees. A wider pitch, with the tarp sides attached to hiking poles or trees, rather than directly to the ground, seems to help. So does weighted (sand, dirt, or something fairly heavy) stuff sacks attached to the mitten hooks on the tarp sides--- that's what they are there for. Also, if not tying tarp to trees, make sure to exactly follow HH directions. BEFORE you tighten up alond the RL with the prussick hooks, tighten the SIDES so that you put some tension on the RL, causing it to sag a little bit BEFORE you get in. That should help a bit.

One or more of those tricks can make the stock tarp reasonably tight and give plenty of rain protection(especially if used with the HH Super Shelter). But I don't think you will ever match the tightness of tying the tarp to the trees. But I think tying to the trees requires a larger tarp( in wind driven rain) than the stock HH, at least in my experience.

The big advantage to the stock tarp is low weight and only 2 stakes. That is about it.

• + New Posts